IVINS — A bedridden woman died in a Christmas Eve fire at her Ivins home.Comment on this story
A family member had tried to rescue the elderly woman and was burned in the process, said Santa Clara Fire Chief Dan Nelson. The relative was in the hospital, Nelson said. The extent of injuries was not known.
Police responded to the fire about 7 p.m. Sunday, Nelson said. Crews from St. George helped douse flames, but the home near 100 West and 100 North in Ivins was a total loss.
Investigators believe the blaze began in a bedroom toward the rear of the house, but did not say what sparked it.
Nelson said there were multiple pets in the household that were not accounted for.
Authorities have not yet released names of the deceased or injured.