Mitch Wilkinson, Weber Fire District
A fire Saturday evening destroyed a home in the area of 100 South and 7900 West in Weber County. Fire officials say all family members were safe thanks to working smoke detectors.

OGDEN — A home was destroyed by fire Saturday evening, but smoke detectors enabled all family members inside to escape without harm, fire officials reported.

According to the Weber Fire District, crews were called to a home at the north end of 7900 West in Weber County shortly after 7 p.m. The first arriving engine reported that the fire was already burning through the roof and attic.

Comment on this story

Hydrants in the area were limited on how much water they could produce, so firefighters had to set up water shuttle operations from over a mile away and use tankers to bring in more water, a statement from the fire district said.

Firefighters from Roy, Ogden and Hill Air Force Base helped fight the blaze.

"The owners may be able to salvage some items, but it was a devastating fire," officials said in the statement. "While there's never a good time for a fire, it seems to be worse given the closeness to Christmas."

A cause for the fire was not reported.