Stock image
A fire tore through a Smithfield family's home Saturday, causing up to $150,000 in damage and leaving a family's Christmas presents ruined, authorities said.

SMITHFIELD, Cache County — A fire tore through a Smithfield family's home Saturday, causing up to $150,000 in damage and leaving a family's Christmas presents ruined, authorities said.

The fire was reported just before 5:40 p.m. at 386 N. Main, and crews arrived to put out the flames in the home's basement, said Smithfield Fire Battalion Chief Brandt Pritcher.

Within about five minutes of crews getting into the basement, they had doused the fire. Two connected rooms there suffered fire damage, Pritcher said, and there was significant smoke damage throughout the house.

"Almost every room in the house has severe smoke damage in it," he said.

He estimated the total cost of damage was between $100,000 and $150,000. The cause of the fire was not immediately known.

A couple and their children had "Christmas presents that were damaged in the closets in the house," Pritcher said.

Comment on this story

He said firefighters found no smoke detectors in the residence, and the family was unaware of the fire "until they could see the smoke in the room they were in," which he called a stark reminder of the need to keep those kinds of alarms in each home.

"Luckily nobody was injured. They were able to get out because they were awake watching a movie, but had this happened in a few hours when they were sleeping, who knows what would have happened?" Pritcher said. "They could have never known (the house) was on fire."

Contributing: Brian Champagne