Adobe Stock
A man who poured gasoline into a fire pit has died as a result of burn injuries, according to police.

ST. GEORGE — A man who poured gasoline into a fire pit has died as a result of burn injuries, according to St. George police.

About 10:15 p.m. Wednesday, emergency crews responded to the Dixie Downs area on a report of a person trapped in a car that was on fire, according to St. George police. They arrived to find a 25-year-old man with extensive burns lying on the ground next to the vehicle, police stated.

Comment on this story

Upon further investigation, police learned the man, whose name was not immediately released, and a friend had a fire pit in their yard, when the man "decided to stoke the fire with some gasoline," according to a statement from police.

The fire spread to his arms and clothes. Attempts to roll on the ground did not extinguish the fire, police stated. One of the first officers on the scene used a garden hose to put out the flames.

The man was taken to a local hospital but died from his injuries, according to police.