Salt Lake County Jail
Salt Lake police are looking for David Loren Simmons, 35, who authorities say has a history of attacking officers.

SALT LAKE CITY — Police are looking for a man known to frequent the Rio Grande neighborhood who has a history of assaulting officers.

David Loren Simmons, 35, who is listed as homeless and goes by the moniker "Hulk," was charged Tuesday in 3rd District Court with two counts of assault on a police officer, and interfering with an arresting officer, a class B misdemeanor. The assault on a police officer charges were enhanced to third-degree felonies because he has previously been convicted of the same crime. Simmons is 6 feet 3 inches tall and weighs 230 pounds, according to jail records.

On Aug. 10, Salt Lake police were called to the Road Home shelter where Simmons was "rolling around on the ground and screaming," according to charging documents. Simmons then stood up and allegedly challenged several people to a fight.

When officers arrived, they ordered Simmons to lay down on his stomach. Instead, Simmons charged at an officer, the charges state. The officer deployed his Taser, "but the Taser had no effect." Police say Simmons kept charging and struck the officer in the face.

A second officer deployed his Taser, causing Simmons to fall to the ground. But as the officer attempted to put handcuffs on Simmons, the man grabbed the officer's finger and the officer could not break free, according to the charges.

That incident came nearly a year after police were called to break up a "large fight" at the Weigand Center at the homeless shelter.

"Simmons groped a woman and started a fight with a group of people," the charges state.

Comment on this story

Officers ended up chasing Simmons, who was "shirtless and bleeding," according to court documents. When they caught up with him, one officer was punched in the head, the charges state. A Taser was used on Simmons, who was "foaming at the mouth, sweating profusely, making odd comments, and spitting blood and saliva as he spoke."

He was convicted in that case of assault on a police officer and sentenced to probation. A warrant was later issued for his arrest for violating conditions of his probation, according to court records.

In 2006 Simmons was convicted of aggravated assault in 5th District Court in St. George.

Anyone with information on Simmons' whereabouts is asked to call police at 801-799-3000.