SALT LAKE CITY â€” Dreams of sugarplums may not be too far from Salt Lake City this holiday season.
Following countless hours of labor and creativity, the sixth annual Macyâ€™s Holiday Candy Windows at the City Creek Center will be unveiled Thursday night, Nov. 16, during the Macyâ€™s unveiling party.
The 2017 theme is â€śUtahâ€ť and features six oversized, candy-covered ornaments, each one designed by a local artist.
This yearâ€™s candy artists are Neil Brown, Geri Cordova, Abigail Hays, Brian Johnson, Jeff Rollo and Jennifer Vesper.
Artist Neil Brown, a Bountiful native and graphic designer for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, received his 6-foot-tall plastic foam ornament back in September. He began working on his soon-to-be masterpiece in his garage by sketching his ideas directly onto the orb-shaped canvas.
After deciding on a sketch he liked, Brown slathered on the paint. He said he wanted to eliminate the possibility of the white plastic foam shining between the candy.
Hot glue and a rainbow of jelly beans came next as Brown placed each piece of his $1,000 worth of candy onto the ornament individually.
This is Brownâ€™s first year as a contributor to the Macyâ€™s Holiday Candy Windows, and he said he was looking forward to seeing the final result.
As part of this uniquely Utah tradition, here is your number's guide to the sixth annual Holiday Candy Windows, as provided by Macy's:
- 3-5 months to create and install Macyâ€™s Holiday Candy Window displays
- 2 weeks of installation time
- 20 artists, on average, who apply each year
- 6 spots
- $1,000-$2,000 spent per candy-covered ornament
- 1,269 pounds of candy
- 129 different candy varieties
The top 10 candies used by the artists in this yearâ€™s display:
- 175 pounds of jumbo black licorice twists
- 101.5 pounds of ice blue mint squares hard candy
- 90 pounds of Banana Heads
- 48 pounds of Bruiser Jawbreakers
- 45 pounds of lime Fruit Slices
- 35 pounds of lemon Fruit Sours
- 35 pounds of Chick-o-Stick nuggets
- 30 pounds of pina colada Fruit Sours, lemon Fruit Slices, butterscotch discs and Tootsie Roll Midgees
- 29 pounds of assorted candy rods
- 24 pounds of blue raspberry twists
If you go â€¦
What: Macy's Holiday Candy Windows unveiling
When: Thursday, Nov. 16, children's activities, 4 p.m.; Davis High School Jazz Band performance, 5:30 p.m.; candy windows unveiling, 6 p.m.; Santa arrives on City Creek Center rooftop, 7 p.m.; performance of selections from "The Nutcracker" by Ballet West, 8 p.m.
Where: Macy's at City Creek Center, 21 S. Main Street