1 of 4
Utah County Jail
Brayden Kenneth Marshall

PROVO — Two people accused in a gang-related burglary and killing in Provo have pleaded guilty to reduced charges.

Brayden Kenneth Marshall and Maria Guadalupe Hernandez, both 19, have each pleaded guilty in their individual cases to aggravated burglary, a first-degree felony, and manslaughter, a second-degree felony.

In exchange for their pleas, additional charges were dismissed and prosecutors agreed to recommend concurrent sentences for the two convictions.

Sentencing for Hernandez is set for Dec. 6, while Marshall is set to be sentenced Jan. 3.

Marshall, of Provo, and Hernandez, of Sandy, were originally charged with murder — along with Jerry Otis Hawley, 34 — in the death of 24-year-old Gustavo Ramirez.

The alleged gunman in the shooting, Jesse William Gourdin, 22, faces the most serious charges in the case. He is charged with aggravated murder, a first-degree felony carrying a potential death sentence, and other charges related to the robbery.

According to police, the group went to Ramirez's home, 71 N. 400 West, on March 13 to take a metal box full of cash and recover a backpack that Hernandez said belonged to her. Charging documents say Hawley drove the group to the house, then waited in the car with Hernandez.

Wearing bandanas over their faces, Gourdin and Marshall tried unsuccessfully to enter the home through the front door before breaking in at another door, charges state.

Once the door was open, Gourdin rushed in shooting, police said.

After the shooting, Hawley drove the group back to Marshall's home, the charges say. Ramirez's girlfriend took him to Utah Valley Hospital, where he was later declared dead.

According to police, the four people accused in Ramirez's death are members of one gang, while the occupants of the house they broke into belong to a rival gang.

Gourdin, or Orem, is awaiting 4th District Judge Low's decision about whether the case should be bound over for trial. He is scheduled to appear in court Dec. 6.

3 comments on this story

Hawley, who admitted to being the getaway driver in the burglary, pleaded guilty to burglary and robbery charges. The Eagle Mountain man was sentenced in August to a year in jail, with credit given for the approximately 160 days he had already served.

Hernandez's parents and siblings wrote letters to the judge shortly before she pleaded guilty asking for the woman's release. The family claims Hernandez is young and fell in with bad friends, which led her to be "with the wrong people at the wrong time." They told the judge they are struggling emotionally and financially without her.