American Fork Police Department
Paul Swenson

SOUTH SALT LAKE — An American Fork man who went missing over the summer before his body was found floating in Mill Creek had alcohol and marijuana in his system, according to the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office.

Whether it was enough to cause 30-year-old Paul Heiner Swenson to drown, however, remains unknown.

South Salt Lake police Thursday announced the medical examiner's office had determined drowning was the cause of death and there were no signs of foul play. But the investigation into why Swenson was in Salt Lake County and how he ended up in the water is ongoing, said South Salt Lake police detective Gary Keller.

Swenson went missing on July 27. Police do not know what promted him to leave his house, and they say he was not suicidal. Swenson left his house in "some type of altered state of mind," American Fork police said at the time, noting they weren't sure whether that was due to a mental health issue or something else.

Police said Swenson was acting out of character in the hours before he was last seen and had visited a doctor complaining of heart issues the same morning. One friend, Shiann Chambers, previously said Swenson had been "kind of off" for a few weeks before going missing.

On July 28, Swenson's BMW was found near Parkview Elementary School, 970 S. Emery St. (1170 West). Police considered it suspicious at the time because Swenson had no ties to the area and items belonging to someone else were found in the vehicle.

Keller said authorities are still trying to retrace where the car had been.

"We're still waiting for stuff back from the FBI on the vehicle," he said. "We have a lot of questions just like everyone else."

Swenson's cellphone was last tracked to the area of 4700 South and 900 East, before it either died or was turned off, according to investigators.

Comment on this story

Police are still investigating how Swenson came to be in the water, whether he fell in at the location he was found or why he wasn't able to get out are still unanswered questions, Keller said. There was a storm in that area the night before he was found, he noted.

Swenson's body was discovered in "poor condition," according to police. An initial autopsy found no obvious signs of trauma or foul play.

"We have a bunch of questions," Keller said. "The investigation is still ongoing. So we'll see where it goes."