PROVO — As BYU football readies for the upcoming football season, its leaders, positions and season expectations have started to become clear.
- Mangum, Koroma, Warner Pau'u named team captains (Aug. 4)
- Sitake expecting more from his players in year 2 at BYU (July 27)
- With early start to season, BYU set to open fall camp (July 26)
BYU's defense is projected to be improved this season, but, as Deseret News writers have asked, will that, and a new offense, be enough to propel them to success in 2017?
- Brad Rock: Wisconsin? LSU? Utah? BYU needs to look out for UMass (Aug. 10)
- Breaking down BYU's 2017 football schedule, team by team (Aug.10)
- Guest Commentary: BYU D should excel but will the O be more entertaining to watch? (Aug. 7)
- BYU finishes first week of fall camp and Sitake loves the Cougars' aggressiveness (Aug. 3)
Though it appears BYU's defense could be more of its strength than the offense in 2017, QB Tanner Mangum and the group have looked sharp at points.
- BYU's Talon Shumway shines with TD catch from Tanner Mangum on Day 4 of fall camp (July 31)
- Dick Harmon: time and new weapons aid BYU's Ty Detmer, who is closer to launching pro-style offense (July 29)
- Brad Rock: BYU coordinator Ty Detmer keeps cool — most of the time (July 27)
Projected starter Tanner Mangum and has taken a lot of advice and guidance from offensive coordinator Ty Detmer this offseason.
- BYU's Mangum benefitting from Detmer's tutelage (July 30)
- While Mangum is BYU's undisputed starter, Detmer sorting out backups (July28)
- Tanner Mangum leading BYU while dealing with mental health issue (July 28)
BYU has had competition all summer in projecting its next starter, after losing a key offensive component.
- Squally Canada likely to land starting spot, but BYU's running back territory is wide open (July 31)
- BYU's Burt eager to contribute at running back group after taking redshirt year (Aug.8)
- Detmer likes depth and versatility at running back as BYU tries to replace Williams (Aug.5)
It is unclear whether BYU's receivers will be productive this season, but there are reasons for optimism.
- Ben Cahoon using high-tech, in-depth metrics to rate, evaluate BYU's receivers (Aug.10)
- Can inexperienced BYU receivers become 'household names' this fall? (Aug.2)
- Dick Harmon: BYU receiver Micah Simon's patient approach, refreshing attitude worth the wait (July 31)
- BYU football notebook: Sitake confident 'people will know who they are,' in reference to the Cougars' wide receivers (July 28)
- Matt Bushman plays baseball, Iliasa Tuiaki battles in Clash Royale (Aug.9)
- Son of former player making his mark as a freshman tight end (Aug.6)
- BYU looking to restore glory to tight end position this season (Aug.4)
- Coaches encouraged by production, depth of offensive front (Aug. 8)
- Former Cougar Dallas Reynolds returns to aid in rebuilding BYU's offensive line (Aug. 7)
- After trading basketball for football, BYU's Thomas Shoaf flips from right tackle to left tackle (Aug. 6)
Though inexperienced, the Cougars have players on the defensive line with great athleticism and a lot of potential.
- Takitaki, Kaufasi eager to make a big impact on BYU's defensive line (July 27)
- BYU football notebook: Sione Takitaki calls it a 'blessing' to be back on the team (July 27)
Led by Fred Warner and Butch Pau'u, BYU's linebackers could be one of the major keys to success this season.
- BYU's stocked linebacking crew ready to build on success from 2016 (Aug. 3)
- Butch Pau'u hopes BYU's defense can hassle a lot of QBs this season (Aug. 2)
The Cougars have two sophomore starters returning in Troy Warner and Dayan Ghanwoloku.
Safeties:Comment on this story
- BYU's safeties trying to fill void left by Nacua (Aug. 7)
- Injured BYU safety Gavin Fowler has been down, but don't count him out (Aug. 5)
- BYU's return specialists coming into focus for season opener (Aug. 8)
- BYU's Linehan takes his game to Twitter and back (Aug. 8)
The offense and defense split BYU's two scrimmages this fall.