BYU men’s tennis announced the signing of Mateo Vereau Melendez and Vinicius Feijao Nogueira for the 2018-19 season, joining Kobe Tran who signed in November.
“Mateo and Vinicius have had significant results on the ITF Junior Circuit,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “They come from great families and are committed to achieving excellence as high-achieving student-athletes. We are delighted that they chose BYU over a host of high-caliber schools from Power 5 conferences. They will both immediately contribute to championship-level tennis at BYU.”
Vereau Melendez is from Trujillo, Peru, and he attends high school in Peru at Fleming College after beginning school at Montessori International College. He has a Universal Tennis Rating of 12.74 and is ranked No. 391 in the ITF World Juniors rankings.
- COSAT (South America Tennis Confederation) G1 Champion- Cali Colombia
- Played in a European Tour
- ITF G4 Finalist- Cali Colombia
- Competed in the Under 16 Junior Davis Cup
- No. 1 player in Peru for Under 16 category
- Competed on Team Peru for Los Juegos Bolivarianos tournament
- Competed in the South American games in the Under 16 category twice, Under 14 and Under 12
- Doubles runner-up in an ITF G3, G4 and G5
- Won a doubles ITF G5
- Semi-finalist in an ITF G5
- Ranked No. 8 in South America Under 14 category
- Ranked No. 2 in Brazil Under 12 category
- Won the two largest Brazilian tournaments, Banana Bowl and Copa Gerdau, in the Under 10 category
Genny Hickman is a PR student at Brigham Young University. She currently interns with the Athletic Communications office on campus.
EMAIL: [email protected]