Shannon Hortman Evans was named one of two Mountain Rim Gymanstics Conference Floor Specialists of the Week after earning a 9.950 on floor last Friday, including a 10.000 score from one judge.
“I’ve dreamed about this for so long,” Evans said. “It’s every gymnast’s dream to earn a 10, but actually seeing the score go up in the air made me so emotional because you work so hard for that.”
Evans’ floor routine led the Cougars to a 49.375 on floor, the team’s highest score on the event since head coach Guard Young began at BYU. Evans also recorded a career high in the all-around against Denver and Southern Utah with a 39.425.
The Cougars continued to set records at home last week with the team’s highest overall score in 13 years, 196.625, leading BYU to hold the No. 18 spot in the national rankings this week. BYU also set a season record on vault with a 49.050.
No. 18 BYU hosts No. 13 Boise State this Friday at 7 p.m. MST. The Cougars will honor cancer survivors during this annual Pink Meet hosted inside the Smith Fieldhouse. Live streaming and live stats will be available.
2018 week 6 award winners:
- Gymnast of the Week: Courtney McGregor, Boise State
- Vault Specialist: Courtney McGregor, Boise State
- Bars Specialists: Courtney McGregor and Shani Remme, Boise State
- Beam Specialist: Autumn DeHarde, Utah State
- Floor Specialist: Shani Remme, Boise State; Shannon Hortman Evans, BYU