Senior Mackenzie Douglas once again earned the title of Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference Floor Specialist for the third week in a row, while teammates Shannon Hortman Evans and Natasha Trejo Marsh shared Bars Specialists of the Week honors.
Douglas not only set a career high but also earned the individual title on floor after scoring a 9.925. This led to BYU earning a season-high score of 49.275 on floor.
"I'm so excited to be the floor specialist for the third week in a row," Douglas said. "The excitement and joy that I shared with my team and coaches on Friday night is a memory that will last forever. It felt amazing to see so many hours of hard work paying off."
Evans, a sophomore, and Marsh, a junior, shared Bars Specialist of the Week. The two gymnasts recorded a 9.875 on bars, both matching personal records on the event. The high score on bars also led Evans to a career-high score of 39.300 in the all-around.
Douglas, Evans and Marsh each contributed to the team's season-high overall score as the Cougars beat the Falcons, 196.450 to 192.700.
BYU heads to Denver to compete in a quad meet on Saturday, Feb. 3, at 6 p.m. MST. The Cougars will face No. 11 Denver, Bowling Green and Ball State at Hamilton Gymnasium. Live stats will be available.
2018 week 3 award winners:
- Gymnast of the Week: Shani Remme, Boise State
- Vault Specialists: Megan McBride, Southern Utah; Rachel Obmann and Mary Frances Bir, Boise State
- Bars Specialists: Shani Remme, Boise State; Natasha Trejo Marsh and Shannon Hortman Evans, BYU
- Beam Specialists: Shani Remme, Boise State
- Floor Specialists: Shani Remme, Boise State; Mackenzie Douglas, BYU