The Dixie State men’s basketball team edged Dickinson State for an 83-73 victory on Saturday on the final day of the Westminster Thanksgiving Classic at the Behnken Field House in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The Trailblazers (3-4) used a balanced scoring attack to secure the win, as four players finished in double figures and 10 DSU players landed in the scoring column in the victory. Dixie State also converted a season-high 30-of-36 (.833) free throw attempts to help seal the win.

“We played a lot harder tonight, which helped us do everything better,” head coach Jon Judkins said. “We shared the ball better and we shot the ball better, especially from the free-throw line. It was a good win to end the trip.”

Dixie State built an early 6-2 lead, but the Blue Hawks responded with a 10-3 run to take a 12-9 lead at the 14:27 mark of the opening half. Dickinson State extended its advantage to 14-10 two minutes later, but the Trailblazers responded with a 14-2 run to regain the lead at 24-16 at the 7:02 mark. Wade Miller buried two triples and Brandon Simister canned a trey during the run, while Dub Price added a jumper and a pair of free throws.

The Trailblazers built their first double-digit lead of the game five minutes later when Brandon Miller hit a 3-pointer to stake DSU to a 31-20 lead less than one minute after subbing into the contest. Isaiah Clark converted a traditional three-point play another minute later to extend the lead to 36-24, but Dickinson State ended the half on a 6-2 run to pull to within 38-30 at the break.

The Blue Hawks picked up where they left off in the second half, opening the frame on a 13-6 run to pull to within one point at 44-43 at the 16:10 mark. Trevor Hill responded with back-to-back baskets for DSU to keep the Trailblazers in front at 48-45. The baskets sparked a 9-2 run for Dixie State, capped by another Wade Miller triple to push the lead back to 53-45 at the 12:55 mark. But Dickinson State would not go away. The Blue Hawks countered with a 6-0 run to pull to within 55-51 less than two minutes later. Zac Hunter ended the run with a pair of free throws and a jumper to extend the DSU advantage to 58-51 at the 8:52 mark.

Dixie State built its largest lead of the game two minutes later when Hill capped a 12-3 run with a layup to push the lead to 67-54. The game seesawed back and forth during the next five minutes until the Blue Hawks made a final push to pull to within 79-73 with 29 seconds remaining. Simister and Price put the game out of reach as each hit a pair of free throws to ice the 83-73 victory.

The Trailblazers shot 40 percent (23-of-57) from the field, 31 percent (7-of-22) from 3-point range and 83 percent (30-of-36) from the free-throw line. Hill led four DSU players in double figures with 16 points, while Simister added 13 points and Hunter chipped in 12 points. Wade Miller finished with a career-high 11 points on 3-of-5 shooting from beyond the arc.

After playing its first seven games on the road, Dixie State will return to the Burns Arena for its Pacific West Conference opener vs. Academy of Art next Saturday, Dec. 2. Tipoff is set for 3:30 p.m.

Keric Seegmiller is Assistant Coordinator of Media Relations at Dixie State University and the Voice of Trailblazer Athletics. Contact him at [email protected].