BYU and Liberty University announced over the weekend that they will battle in a home-and-home football series in 2019 and 2022, according to the Deseret News.
The Cougars will host the Flames on Nov. 9, 2019, and Liberty will host BYU on Oct. 22, 2022.
President Donald Trump might have leaked the information. While speaking at Liberty’s commencement address, Trump mentioned BYU as one of the school’s future opponents.
BYU posted a press release confirming the arrangement minutes after the video was posted on Liberty's Twitter feed.
This isn’t Trump’s first rodeo with Liberty University. Nor is the first time Liberty University has made headlines. Here’s a quick breakdown of what you need to know about Liberty University.
- Liberty University is a private, nonprofit Christian school. It’s the largest Christian school in the world, according to CNN.
- Dr. Jerry Falwell, host of a nationally syndicated radio and television ministry, founded in the school in 1971, according to the school’s website.
- The school’s located in Lynchburg, Virginia, according to the school website.
- The school’s enrollment exceeds 110,000.
- The school has six NCAA Division I individual championships. More than 100 of its teams appeared in NCAA championships over the years.
- This past season, Liberty made headlines for its track titles. According to the school’s website, Liberty swept the Big South Conference track championships, winning for both the men’s and women’s team titles.
- Liberty football has won eight Big South titles.
- Liberty’s football team’s biggest victory was a 76-6 smashing over West Virginia Tech in 1995, according to the football team’s record book.
- Liberty also notably defeated No. 1 Coastal Carolina, 15-14, in 2014. This was Liberty’s first and only win over a No. 1-ranked team, according to the record book.
- It costs $33,100 to attend the school, including tuition, fees, housing and a meal plan, according to the website.
- About 95 percent of Liberty University students receive financial aid, according to the school’s website.
- Politico reported that students at Liberty didn’t know whether to vote for Trump in the president election mostly because the Republican Party sparked a split among conservatives.
- NPR reported that Trump made one of his biggest gaffes during a speech at Liberty University, identifying a Bible verse as “Two Corinthians,” even though it should be pronounced “Second Corinthians.”
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders also previously spoke at Liberty University. In his speech, he trashed income inequality, CNN reported.
- Trump spoke at Liberty University’s commencement address this past weekend. He told students they should challenge the established order, NBC reported.
- Trump also received a doctorate of laws from the school, Fox News reported.
- Jerry Fallwell Jr. praised Trump for speaking at the University.