Donald Trump faced a litany of criticism so far this weekend after a Washington Post report unveiled a video taken in 2005 that shows the Republican presidential nominee making lewd comments towards women.
The video, which comes from “Access Hollywood” behind-the-scenes footage that was obtained by The Post on Friday, showed Trump and “Today Show” host Billy Bush talking about women with crass language on the way to an interview. Trump didn't know his microphone was on at the time, according to the AP.
Trump apologized for the comments in a defiant video late Friday night, according to The New York Times. He said he was sorry for his comments, but then proceeded to speak out against Bill and Hillary Clinton. Early Saturday morning, he told reporters that he doesn’t plan to quit the race, and that he’s received unbelievable support.
Both Hillary Clinton and her VP pick Tim Kaine responded to the comments on social media.
Similarly, Republican leaders have spoken out against Trump in response to the video, according to the Associated Press.
Many comments have come on social media.
Trump’s running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, released a statement that in which he said he was “offended by the words and actions” shown in the video. He also said he couldn’t defend Trump’s comments. He hopes, though, that Trump will repair the damage at Sunday night’s presidential debate.
Senator John Thune, chairman of the Senate Republicans, tweeted for Trump to drop out and for Pence to take Trump’s spot on the ticket.
Texas Sen. Ted Cruz also condemned the remarks.
Longtime Republican Condoleezza Rice wrote on Facebook that she had "Enough!" with Trump's presidency bid.
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush was one of the first politicians to comment on the video, saying an apology wouldn’t excuse the comments.
New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte also released a statement Saturday morning, saying she won't support a candidate who speaks about women as Trump did.
Utah’s been at the forefront of speaking out against Trump. As the Deseret News reported, Gov. Gary Herbert withdrew his support for Trump, saying he wouldn’t vote for the GOP nominee. Sen. Mike Lee, Rep. Jason Chaffetz and former Gov. Jon Huntsman all took back their Trump support.
Here’s an MSNBC video of Chaffetz telling MSNBC he was withdrawing his support. The Utah representative said he still doesn’t plan to vote for Hillary Clinton.
Lee spoke out in a Facebook video.
Independent presidential candidate Evan McMullin, a former Utah resident and BYU grad, expressed his concern over the video, saying he was the only conservative choice for the presidency.
McMullin’s running mate, Mindy Finn, also commented on the issue.
Mitt Romney, who has also constantly spoken out against Trump throughout the campaign, said in Las Vegas on Saturday that he “was offended and dismayed by what was said by Mr. Trump,” repeating words he said on Twitter the previous night.
Utah Lt. Governor Spencer Cox compared it to the Ray Rice domestic abuse video from 2014.
Speaker of the Utah House of Representatives Greg Hughes said he was disappointed over the issue.
Sen. Orrin Hatch tweeted out a statement that called the comments “offensive.”
Utah Rep. Chris Stewart released a statement on Facebook, saying he was “incredibly disappointed in our party's candidate.”
Utah Rep. Mia Love confirmed her stance on Facebook, sharing her belief that Trump is unfit for the presidency.
Herb Scribner is a writer for Deseret Digital Media.