1 of 11
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Police say a man drove a recreational vehicle into the front doors of the Calvin Rampton Complex in Taylorsville and then shot himself on Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016.

TAYLORSVILLE — A man frustrated by the suspension of his driver's license drove a recreational vehicle directly into the main entrance of the state Driver License Division headquarters and then shot himself Wednesday afternoon, police said.

No one else was injured when the man's RV slammed into the front door of the Calvin L. Rampton Complex, 4501 S. Constitution Blvd. (2700 West), around 1:45 p.m., Utah Highway Patrol Col. Danny Fuhr said.

The man was taken from the scene with "extreme" injuries and transported to an area hospital, Fuhr said.

UHP Sgt. Todd Royce was one of the first on the scene to see the man slumped over in his vehicle with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head.

The man remained hospitalized Wednesday evening in extremely critical condition. He was not expected to survive. The man's identity wasn't immediately released out of respect for his family members who were still gathering at the hospital to see him, Fuhr said.

The man's driver's license was recently suspended because of an arrest for DUI, according to Fuhr. The man appealed the suspension, but it was upheld a short time ago, the colonel said. He didn't immediately provide the man's criminal history or a precise timeline of his arrest and unsuccessful appeal.

The man sent an email to the Driver License Division earlier Wednesday saying he disagreed with the suspension, but the message "didn't appear threatening in nature," Fuhr said. Police also believe he may have called the division recently and are investigating that possibility.

The man crashed into the main entrance on the northwest side of the building while traveling about 15 to 20 mph, Fuhr said. The vehicle became tightly wedged in the doors there. An employe sitting behind bulletproof glass in the front area heard a gunshot and saw a flash shortly after the impact of the crash, police said.

"It looks like it was definitely a deliberate act," Fuhr said.

The building, which also serves as headquarters for the Utah Department of Public Safety and the Utah Department of Transportation, was evacuated and employees were told to go home for the day. The driver of the RV has no connections to the transportation and public safety agencies, according to Fuhr.

Investigators from Unified police and Unified Fire Authority swept the vehicle for possible explosive devices, Fuhr said. The building's alarms continued to sound for about three hours after the crash, and reporters were moved to another side of the building as a precaution.

Investigators examined possible structural damage to the entrance of the building.

Fuhr indicated the building's security measures will be evaluated for their effectiveness in the incident.

All traffic was shut down on Constitution Boulevard in front of the building for about three hours while the investigation was underway. The road reopened just before 5 p.m.

Contributing: McKenzie Romero

Email: blockhart@deseretnews.com

Twitter: benlockhartnews