1 of 27
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Gary Healey is reunited with his wife, Consuelo Healey, a hiker who had not come home the previous night, at the Timpooneke Trailhead on Friday, Sept. 11, 2015.

PROVO — Consuelo Healy hoped to be home in time for dinner when she set out along the Mount Timpanogos Trail on Thursday.

But after a tense night spent on the mountain in Provo Canyon, Healy was grateful simply to be leaving the trail on her own power and reunited with loved ones.

"I was just praying that my husband and kids (would) know I was going to be all right," Healy said. "I knew as soon as it was getting light I would be able to find a way home."

Crews began searching Provo Canyon late Thursday and resumed searching early Friday for Healy, 49, after she failed to return home Thursday night. She was found in good condition by other hikers Friday morning.

Meanwhile, a Provo man went missing near King's Peak in Summit County on Thursday afternoon. Rescuers spent all day Friday searching for him but had no luck.

Christian Herrera, 77, reportedly disappeared after he went off on his own to take pictures while riding horses with a friend near Kings Peak. Search and rescue crews called off their efforts shortly after 6:30 p.m. Friday and planned to resume at 6 a.m. Saturday.

For Consuelo Healy, she knew she would find her way down after after she found a group of hikers who helped her find the right trail and gave her a cellphone to call her husband.

"She told him she had been lost up there, it got dark and she decided she should stay put," Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon said.

Healy was hiking outside Provo with her dog and was expected home by 6 p.m. Thursday, Cannon said. Though she normally hikes the Mount Timpanogos Trail from another area, searchers set out from the Aspen Grove trailhead where the woman's car was located.

While Healy was praying for her husband, he was doing the same thing for her in what he described as a long and anxious night. Gary Healy called police about 9 p.m.

"I was hoping and praying she would sit down and just wait," he said. "That’s what she did."

Crews had attempted to ping Healy's cellphone but got no signal, though hikers usually have cellphone service on that side of the mountain, Cannon said.

Searchers looking for Healey continued their efforts until 3:30 a.m. and returned early Friday. Gary Healy said he was grateful they were so willing to search the area for his wife.

"When we have a need, (we) know that good men and women will be there to help us out," he said. "And that is always appreciated and something that cannot be taken for granted."

Consuelo Healy, who used a hoodie and gloves to stay relatively warm overnight, said she regretted causing her family and search and rescue crews to worry. But she said the incident won't stop her from exploring the area again.

"I love hiking. Nobody can take that away from me. Hiking is my love," she said.

Herrerra's loved ones say he is in good shape and they are hoping for a similar happy ending to their ordeal. He was last seen about a mile north of Gunsight Pass, said Summit County sheriff's detective Casey Bates.

Herrera and one other person had broken off from two others with their horses when shortly before they lost track of him. The pair was in a dense, forested area when they were separated. Herrera's group searched the area but left to call for help about 9 p.m. when he couldn't be found.

"He abandoned his horse to go up a hiking trail, and that was the last that they saw him," Bates said.

About 30 searchers from various agencies, some of them on horseback, and a search helicopter were asked to assist. Search dogs were also called up late Friday afternoon.

Herrera had appropriate clothing and supplies for the afternoon ride but was not prepared to stay on the mountain overnight, Bates said. He is described as 5 feet 8 inches tall, 150 pounds with gray hair and a light gray beard.

Herrera was last seen wearing a dark green windbreaker, khaki pants, a tan hat a hiking boots. He was using two Black Diamond brand trekking poles when he went off on his own.

The group originally set out approaching the summit of King's Peak, according to Bates.

Contributing: Sam Penrod

Twitter: benlockhartnews