Weber County Jail
Shane Patrick Gormley, 30, of Ogden, was hospitalized July 6, 2015, after police say he jumped into a car — while running from officers — and began beating a woman in an attempt to steal her vehicle. After troopers and deputies deployed a Taser, he suffered a heart attack and died on Monday, July 13, 2015.

OGDEN — An Ogden man suspected of carjacking a woman died Monday, a week after he was hit four times by a Taser and went into cardiac arrest.

The Utah Highway Patrol confirmed the death of Shane Gormley, 30. He had been placed in a medically induced coma and was later taken off of life support. An investigation into Gormley's death will now be conducted by the Weber County Attorney's Office.

Before being arrested, police had been looking for Gormley, who they say was wanted for escape from official custody and had led officers on at least two chases.

On July 6, UHP troopers were able to track down Gormley after he again tried to flee. UHP Lt. Chris Simmons previously said Gormley had attempted to carjack two vehicles after running away from an investigating trooper.

On his second attempt, he jumped into that vehicle on top of the lap of a 53-year-old woman and repeatedly punched her in an attempt to get her out of the car, Simmons said.

The woman was able to fight him enough that she prevented him from putting her car in gear and driving away. When the pursuing trooper caught up, he reached inside the car and deployed a Taser on Gormley. Backup troopers helped the woman get out of her car as Gormley continued to struggle with troopers. A Taser was deployed three more times before troopers were finally able to take him into custody.

After troopers got Gormley out of the vehicle, he went into cardiac arrest, according to the UHP.

Troopers took off the restraints and administered first aid before Gormley was taken to McKay-Dee Hospital Center where he was placed in a medically induced coma. Tests showed he was under the influence of methamphetamine and opiates at the time, according to the lieutenant.

Gormley was convicted in May of felony shoplifting and sentenced to one year in jail. He was convicted of attempted retail theft in 2013 and aggravated robbery in 2006, according to state court records. For the 2006 conviction he was ordered to serve five years to life at the Utah State Prison.

Email: [email protected], Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam