1 of 6
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
United Airlines travelers check in at Salt Lake City International Airport in Salt Lake City Wednesday, July 8, 2015. All United Airlines flights were temporarily grounded because of a computer glitch.

NEW YORK — It was a rough day for tech: The nation's biggest airline, its oldest stock exchange, and its most prominent business newspaper all suffered technology problems that upended service for parts of the day.

Government officials said that it did not appear that the incidents were related, or the result of sabotage, counter to an endless stream of jokes and conspiracy theories posted on Facebook and Twitter — and even the suspicions of FBI director James Comey.

"In my business, you don't love coincidences," Comey told Congress on Wednesday. "But it does appear that there is not a cyber intrusion involved."

First a "router issue" at United Airlines suspended all of the company's flights for nearly two hours, leading to 800 flight delays and 60 cancellations. Then at 11:32 a "technical problem" at the New York Stock Exchange halted trading. In the midst of that, the Wall Street Journal's website, WSJ.com, had "technical difficulties" that sent readers to a temporary site while the paper worked to fix the problem.

At Salt Lake City International Airport, passengers flying in and out of Utah felt some minor turbulence from the United Airlines delays.

George Gibbs, a resident of Maxwell, Iowa, who was travelling to Vernal for a rodeo, was grateful he saw only minor complications as he headed west.

"I sat around for a little over an hour and a half, but here I am," Gibbs said. "We took off about a half-hour late."

Gibbs, who had checked in online, managed to avoid the complication of United being unable to print boarding passes when he caught his flight in Des Moines. Other passengers on the flight, however, could only come aboard after receiving hand-written boarding passes.

Rachael May, a Salt Lake City resident flying to Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, arrived at the airport just as the worst of the delays were being resolved.

"I didn't have any problems checking in," May said as she waited for her United flight. "I saw that the line was a little bit long … but they gave me my ticket and I was good to go.

Other passengers, including on other airlines, reported waiting up to 30 minutes on Salt Lake City International Airport's tarmac because of United's glitch.

"The problem is humans can't keep up with all the technology they have created," said Avivah Litan, an analyst at Gartner. "It's becoming unmanageable by the human brain. Our best hope may be that computers eventually will become smart enough to maintain themselves."

Technology makes life easier and the economy more efficient, allowing for nearly instantaneous flow of information and communication and for remote control of far-flung operations. Until it fails. And technology problems like Wednesday's that temporarily knock out vital services and conveniences of modern life are likely to become more common as computers and other electronic devices increasingly connect together over the Internet.

For United, it was the second major technical issue in two months. On June 2 the airline had to halt all takeoffs in the U.S. because of what it described as computer automation issues.

It may be that we are rushing to push technology into business operations and our daily lives before it is fully ready, experts caution. Lillian Ablon, a technology researcher for the Rand Corp. says the confluence of breakdowns should be interpreted as a wake-up call to companies and engineers to program their networks to protect them against inevitable glitches and malicious attacks by outsiders.

"Instead of just letting the technology rush ahead of us and then trying to catch up in terms of privacy and security, we should be baking those things into the systems from the start," she said. "We need to be a little smarter on how we are coding things."

The length of Wednesday's outages also is disconcerting, Gartner's Litan said.

It took the New York Stock Exchange until 3:10 p.m. — just over three and a half hours — to resume trading. "I think everyone needs to assume technology is going to go down sometimes, but you should be resilient enough to quickly recover from the outage within a half hour, if not a few minutes," Litan said.

Still, being deprived of technology for a few hours is a reminder that it is still clearly better than the alternative.

"When you've got six of seven billion shares a day (trading) I'm not sure you've got any other choice," said Larry Tabb, founder and CEO of the Tabb Group, a financial research firm that focuses on market structure and trading. "I can't image going back to paper tickets and floor trading. If Google goes down are you going to have a bunch of people with encyclopedias looking up answers for people? The cat is out of the bag."

AP Business Writers Michael Liedtke and Steve Rothwell contributed to this story.

Jonathan Fahey can be reached at http://twitter.com/JonathanFahey .