1 of 9
Family photos
On May 22, 2013, Aza Ray Vidinhar stabbed his younger brothers Alex Vidinhar, 10, and Benjie Vidinhar, 4, to death in their West Point home. In an unusual plea deal in 2014 that was believed to be the first of its kind in Utah, Vidinhar pleaded guilty to one count of murder in juvenile court and one count of murder in adult court.

OGDEN — A teenage boy convicted of murdering his two younger brothers in West Point was ordered Monday to begin serving time at the Utah State Prison about four years earlier than originally planned.

Aza Vidinhar, who turns 17 next month, was sent to prison by 2nd District Judge Noel Hyde for assaulting an inmate with a broom at the Mill Creek Youth Center detention facility in Ogden.

Vidinhar stabbed his brothers Alex and Benjie, ages 10 and 4, inside their home on May 22, 2013. He pleaded guilty in 2014 to one murder in juvenile court and the second in adult court as part of a plea deal. He was to remain in juvenile detention until he turned 21, then was set to be sentenced to prison in adult court, likely to a 15-years-to-life term.

Hyde, however, ruled Vidinhar's felony assault of another inmate on Nov. 1 proved he is no longer fit for the juvenile detention center and violated the terms of his plea deal that would have allowed him to stay there another four years.

"Further juvenile supervision of this defendant is not appropriate and the defendant will be committed to the Utah State Prison," Hyde said.

Vidinhar's official sentence for the assault, handed down Monday, is a concurrent term of zero to five years in prison.

Jame Retallick, Vidinhar's defense attorney, said he didn't oppose sending Vidinhar to prison, but he preferred a concurrent sentence.

"Well, your honor, there's not much that can be said about it," Retallick said. "The only question I have is the sensibility of making it a consecutive or concurrent. … With two life sentences he's (already) going to be there a very long time if not the rest of his life."

Deputy Weber County attorney Ben Willoughby did not oppose Vidinhar being sentenced to a concurrent prison term, but said there was no doubt Vidinhar should be transferred to prison right away.

"He is now a danger to others and also to himself. … He is old enough to be in prison and prison is now the best place for him," Willoughby said.

Vidinhar was transferred to the Weber County Jail in November following the assault.

Vidinhar's sentencing in Davis County for the second of two murder charges, which was to be made official when he left the juvenile system, has not yet been handed down. No date is set for that hearing in 2nd District Court.

Hyde also ruled Vidinhar should be allowed access to any mental health treatments offered in prison.

"I make that a permanent recommendation in the circumstances," Hyde said.

Twitter: benlockhartnews