1 of 13
Michelle Tessier, Deseret News
Cedar players cheer during a high school football game between Cedar High and Skyline High Friday at Skyline.
We have great kids and they just give us everything we ask. We've got some small kids out there but man do they have big hearts. —Cedar High head coach Todd Peacock

SALT LAKE CITY — For the Cedar Redmen, Friday's road contest at Skyline could not have started worse.

On the second play from scrimmage, Skyline quarterback Braxton Chapman found Colton Limpert on a beautiful 70-yard scoring strike that could have deflated the visitors.

Instead, the Redmen scored 17 unanswered points and came away with the 17-7 victory over Skyline.

"That second play of the game we all just said to each other, 'We're not going to give up,'" Cedar senior Dallin Brooks said. "We just looked around and saw our brothers on the team and said, 'We're not going to let down for anybody.'"

After the first score, neither team could muster much offense in the first period, which ended with the Eagles leading 7-0.

Early in the second period, with the ball at its own 21, Skyline attempted a fourth-and-1 conversion. The resulting rushing attempt was stopped, however, and the Redmen took over deep in Skyline territory.

Three plays later, Cedar's Brecken Lewis found Berick Englestead with a 15-yard touchdown pass that tied the score.

Cedar running back Brock Oldroyd, who had one carry for 5 yards in the first half, responded with 14 carries for 83 yards in the second half. His efforts ultimately turned the game in Cedar's favor.

"We talked about it at halftime and we thought he was open in the first half, so we just asked our quarterback to make the adjustment and get him the ball," Cedar coach Todd Peacock said.

The Redman took a 10-7 lead on a 27-yard field goal from Jeff Rodgers and put the game away when Oldroyd scored on a 3-yard run midway through the final period.

For Skyline, the offense sputtered after the initial score. The Eagles spent most of the second half moving backward, victims of several personal foul and holding penalties at inopportune moments.

With just under two minutes remaining, Skyline finally got moving when Chipman connected with Riley Sharp on a long play over the middle. Another completion to Luke Morris fell inches short of a touchdown, though, and the clock eventually ran out as Chipman's last-second attempt drifted out of the end zone.

The Cedar attack looked smooth and effortless in the second half as quarterback Lewis got into a rhythm, spearheaded by Oldroyd.

"Our offensive line was tremendous tonight," Oldroyd said. "They work their butts off in practice and they're usually up against guys that are bigger than them but they just play hard."

Peacock marveled at his Cedar team, which is off to a 3-0 start on the young season.

"We have great kids and they just give us everything we ask," Peacock said. "We've got some small kids out there, but man do they have big hearts."