1 of 6

OREM — It didn’t take the Wasatch Wasps long Friday night to redeem themselves from their loss a week earlier.

The Wasps traveled down the mountain to Orem for the second weekend in a row to take on the Mountain View Bruins in a game pitting a pair of 0-1 teams.

Wasatch scored on its first possession of the contest and didn't look back, dominating the home team on the way to a 41-9 victory.

The Wasps, as they had trouble doing in the steady rain in their loss to Timpanogos last Friday, went with an air attack that resulted in four touchdown passes from quarterback Garrett Davis to two of his biggest targets, tight end Cade Cloward and wide receiver Carson Law.

“Obviously the weather last week was a big factor,” said Davis. “But we really weren’t in sync anyway. Tonight we were able to get off to a quick start and establish our game plan early.”

The Bruins received the opening kickoff but turned the ball over on downs to Wasatch near midfield. The Wasps swiftly moved their way to a first and goal at the 10-yard line where Davis connected with Cloward for a touchdown.

Skyler Southam booted the PAT and the visitors were up 7-0 less than four minutes into the game.

After a Mountain View fumble on the ensuing kickoff, Wasatch moved into range for its field goal kicker to add three points, which Southam did easily, nailing the 30-yarder for a 10-0 lead.

The Bruins, trying a combination of runs and short passes behind their quarterback, Jaren Flaker, on their next possession, found the going tough against the Wasp defense.

Wasatch cornerback Nick Piscitelli stepped in front of a short pass in the flat and intercepted the ball, resulting in first and 10 for his team at the Bruins' 32-yard line.

After the short drive stalled, Wasatch called on Southam again, and the junior kicker nailed a 42-yarder for a 13-3 advantage.

Mountain View worked its way to midfield on the next possession but punted to the Wasps, pinning them deep in their own territory.

Davis led his team from having its back against the goal line out to midfield, using tailback Spencer Heywood along with his own legs to give the Wasps breathing room.

Two consecutive completions to wide-out David MacKay gave the Wasps a fresh set of downs at the Bruins' 45-yard line. From there, Davis found Law wide open, cutting to the middle of the zone where the receiver made the catch and legged his way for six points. Southam’s PAT was good, and Wasatch was in command 20-0.

Feeling tremendous momentum, Wasp coaches called for an on-sides kick that Southam recovered himself, giving Wasatch the ball and a chance to go for the kill.

On second and 8, Cloward found a sweet spot in the zone defense and sat wide open as Davis maneuvered for space and hit the tight end for a 43-yard touchdown pass with 6:45 left in the second quarter. The extra-point kick was made by Southam, giving Wasatch a lead of 27-0.

The Bruins, attempting to make something happen quickly to get themselves back in the game, were intercepted just a few plays into their next drive. It was Cloward, this time, taking the pass from the other team’s quarterback and killing the last drive of the half.

The visitors, set to receive the opening kickoff to the second half, found themselves at first and 10 on the 20-yard line after a touchback by Bruin kicker Thomas Redford.

The Wasps went for a big airstrike on first down. Davis rolled to his left and hit Law in stride, streaking wide open down the sideline for an 80-yard touchdown bomb that stunned the home crowd. After Southam connected on the PAT, Wasatch was up a commanding 34-0.

The rest of the third quarter seemed quiet in comparison to the first 30 minutes of play, with both teams swapping possessions several times.

The Bruins managed to get themselves into field goal range for Redford, their big-legged kicker, and the senior connected from 30 yards out, putting the home team on the board with just over two minutes remaining in the third quarter.

Wasatch, now in ball-control mode, spent the fourth quarter churning up yards on the ground eating up the clock. The Wasps moved into the red zone early in the fourth and added a 6-yard touchdown run by Heywood, putting them up 41-3 after the extra point kick, which closed out their scoring for the night.

Mountain View, playing with heart, fought to the last play of the game, where Dallin Gaffney took the inside handoff and twisted his way into the end zone with time expiring for an 18-yard touchdown run, making the final score 41-9.

“We definitely found a rhythm tonight,” added Wasatch offensive coordinator Tyler Baird. “We wanted to establish ourselves early, which we did, and give Garrett some confidence. We improved on a lot of things from last week, especially catching the football. A lot of guys stepped it up tonight.”

Wasatch has its home opener next Friday night against Ogden before getting into region play with consecutive home games against Provo and Salem Hills.

Wasatch takes to the air, strikes early and often at Mountain View

Wasatch wide receiver Carson Law, shakes past a Mountain View corner back and streaks up the side line where quarterback Garret Davis hits him in stride for the 80 yard touchdown bomb.

Kenny Bristow is the sports editor and staff sports writer for the Wasatch Wave and contributes to the Deseret News high school coverage for the Wasatch region. Email: kennywbristow@gmail.com and/or follow him on Twitter, Google+ and Facebook.