1 of 27
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Unified firefighters work on a house fire in Draper Friday, July 25, 2014. The home caught fire after what may have been a gas explosion. The occupant was transported to the hospital.

DRAPER — A Draper man injured when his home exploded into flames died Friday night at University Hospital.

Paul Broadhurst, 40, was being treated in the hospital's burn unit.

“Our family is grateful to emergency medical personnel and health care providers who assisted Paul on Friday. We ask for privacy as we grieve the loss of our family member," Ryan Dickson, Broadhurst's brother, said in a statement.

Firefighters were first dispatched to the Draper home at 15091 S. Junction Circle (235 East) about 7:30 a.m. Friday.

Unified fire investigators are being tight-lipped about the incident, saying only that it will likely be a lengthy investigation. The house was a total loss.

Neighbors described feeling and hearing a loud explosion, and the home was immediately in flames. Several people reported seeing Broadhurst leaving the home with burns to his hands and arms.

Broadhurst was alone in the house when it exploded. His wife and two children were with family in Idaho, according to friends.

Siding, insulation, toys, glass and other pieces of the home littered neighbors' yards after the explosion. Other residents reported hearing subsequent explosions. Siding on some nearby houses melted from the intense heat. A few neighbors were also temporarily evacuated as crews fought the blaze.

Neighbors have set up an account in the family's name for donations at Wells Fargo Bank.