1 of 15
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Cole Christensen waits for a search warrant at the scene of a standoff in Eagle Mountain on Saturday, May 24, 2014.
Whatever's going on in his mind, he needs some help, but more importantly than that right now, the wife and children need protection. —Sgt. Spencer Cannon, Utah County Sheriff's Office

EAGLE MOUNTAIN — An Eagle Mountain man is in custody Saturday evening after a standoff with SWAT teams.

The standoff began when police went to the home to investigate a domestic violence call. According to police, James Bodrero, 59, told a neighbor he wanted the police to kill him.

Bodrero surrendered and left his Eagle Mountain home at about 6 p.m., several hours after the standoff began. No one was injured.

Sgt. Spencer Cannon of the Utah County Sheriff's Office said the incident began Friday evening when a dispute turned into a physical altercation between Bordrero and his wife.

"More of an assault by husband against the wife," Cannon said. "He used a broom handle, assaulted a couple of children, young children below the age of ten."

Cannon said Bodrero also assaulted his wife with the broom handle, and said if she called police "he would take a lot of people out."

Hospital medical staff called police Saturday at 9:40 a.m. when Bodrero's wife went to the emergency room to be treated for her injures.

Cannon said deputies made contact with Bodrero over the phone who refused to come out of his Eagle Mountain residence to meet police.

"Eventually he just hung up the phone, didn't want anything to do with us," Cannon said.

The Utah County Metro and Lehi Police Department SWAT teams responded and asked residents to stay indoors and evacuated several surrounding homes.

Bodrero's wife informed officials there was at least one high-powered rifle and shotgun in the home.

"Those things, given the nature of his assault against the wife and the children caused us some concern, so that's why we got SWAT involved," Cannon said.

Cannon said deputies and investigators swept the home after Bodrero surrendered, and are proceeding with a search warrant.

"Based on what they saw there, they determined they probably ought to make a more thorough search," he said.

A Deseret News photojournalist on site saw investigators removing at least three grenades, multiple knives, guns, a machete, axe and a crossbow from the home. They also removed a mop.

Bodrero was booked into the Utah County Jail on charges of 3rd degree felony Aggravated Assault-Domestic Violence, 3rd degree felony Aggravated Child Abuse, 2 counts of Domestic Violence in the Presence of a Child and 2 counts of Interruption of Communication Device.

According to police Bodrero's wife tried to call 911 twice on Friday, but both times he took the phone and destroyed it.

"Whatever's going on in his mind, he needs some help," Cannon said. "But more importantly than that right now, the wife and children need protection."

Cannon said the two sons, ages eight and 10, sustained minor injuries. The wife's injuries to her wrist, finger and back were more significant but not serious or life threatening.

Email: [email protected]