1 of 16
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Residents Kathy Hampton and Julio Mancias ask when they can get back into their apartment following a fire in Roy, Wednesday, March 26, 2014.
We had a collapse on this side. We had heavy fire involvement that went from the second floor, up to the third floor and got up into the attic space. —Roy Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Comeau

ROY — More than a dozen tenants were displaced Wednesday after a three-alarm fire destroyed three apartments and caused heavy smoke and water damage to three others.

The fire was reported just before 8 a.m. near 2700 West and 5500 South. Witnesses said they first saw flames on an outdoor deck on an upper level. The fire eventually spread to the roof where part of it collapsed.

"We had a collapse on this side," Roy Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Comeau said. "We had heavy fire involvement that went from the second floor, up to the third floor and got up into the attic space."

Trevor Henderson, a resident in the building and one of the first to spot the flames, said it took only moments for the fire to spread to several other decks on the side of the building.

Henderson alerted his wife, who got their three young daughters out of the building while he went door to door warning neighbors. The fire was burning strongly when the Hendersons met at their car in the parking lot, realizing they had nowhere else to go.

"We were going to leave, but we realized, 'Wait, our house is burning down. We don't want to go,'" Danielle Henderson said, holding her 3-month-old daughter as the family sat in their car.

Trevor Henderson's mother lives nearby and arrived quickly with baby supplies and offers to help the family.

Stephanie Peterson says her daughter spotted the flames and also called 911 before the two of them started knocking on doors to get people awake and out.

"There was an explosion and I was standing right here on my porch, and the flames just braised my face. And we just started getting people out," she said. "If my daughter wouldn't have woke me up, our building wouldn't be standing here."

Resident Danielle Henderson said she was surprised at how quickly the fire spread.

"I looked out the window at the neighbor's deck, and it was just going so fast," she said. "I was like, 'Oh my gosh, we gotta get out now!'"

No one was injured. The cause of the fire was still under investigation Wednesday.

Contributing: Mike Anderson

Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam