We have a lot of desire and we have a lot of heart. Our boys regrouped (after losing our last two games of the season) and tonight we showed the true champions that we are. —Enterprise coach Lance Stubbs

RICHFIELD — Despite dropping two of their last three games leading up to the 2A boys basketball tournament, the Enterprise Wolves have found their rhythm when it's mattered most.

The Region 13 champs bounced fellow No. 1 seed South Summit, 64-56, in overtime Friday night at the Sevier Valley Center to join the Enterprise girls in earning a spot in the 2A championship game.

“We have a lot of desire and we have a lot of heart,” Enterprise coach Lance Stubbs said. “Our boys regrouped (after losing our last two games of the season) and tonight we showed the true champions that we are.”

The Wolves didn’t waste any time, as they jumped out of the gate on a 15-10 run and torched the Wildcats with six 3-pointers in the first half alone.

In the second quarter, the visitors outscored the home team 13-6 behind Jake Jones’ nine first-half points, all of which came from beyond the arc, and Justin Prisbrey’s eight points.

“Our outside shooting was huge for us. When they would double- and triple-team us, we were able to kick it out and step up to the line and make some big shots,” said Stubbs. “If they missed those shots, it may have been a totally different ballgame. But they did what they needed to do and I was just so proud of our bench play.”

South Summit struggled in the first half on both ends of the court. It was held to just 26 percent shooting, turned the ball over 10 times, and gave up six treys to a prolific Enterprise offense.

The Wolves weren’t done yet, however, as they ended the first half on a strong 10-2 run and headed to the locker room with a momentous 28-16 lead.

Despite the dominant start, Enterprise knew that no lead is ever safe, especially in the playoffs.

“This was a great South Summit team, maybe one of the best teams they have had in the history of South Summit,” Stubbs said. “I thought they played really well to come back.”

South Summit regrouped at the half and opened up the final 16 minutes of play on an impressive 13-6 run. The burst was finally stopped when Enterprise’s Isaac Wallin drained a buzzer-beating corner trey to put the Wolves back up by eight heading into the fourth quarter.

The excitement was far from over.

The Wildcats kept slowly chipping away at the deficit and outscored the Wolves 24-16 in the final eight minutes, including an electric 5-0 run in the final 60 seconds, to extend the game another four minutes and keep the Region 16 champion's hopes alive.

“Well, we always taught the boys overtime is our time,” said Stubbs. “So when we went into overtime, we said, ‘Let’s buckle down and play ball.’ Thankfully, we had a big enough lead that when they did make their push, we were still able to go into overtime.”

In the extra session, Enterprise’s Prisbrey quickly squashed South Summit's hopes, as he scored the first four of the Wolves’ 11 overtime points, giving them the nail-biting 64-56 semifinal victory.

Comment on this story

With the win, Enterprise advances to the championship game, where it will try to dethrone 2A powerhouse Wasatch Academy and prevent the Tigers from winning a second consecutive 2A crown.

“They’ve (Wasatch Academy) got an incredible team. We’ve just got to play loose and we’ve almost got to play a perfect game,” Stubbs admitted. “We’ve got to make all our shots and try and surprise them a little bit, because they are a good team.”

Ryan Love is a full-time student at the University of Utah studying communications, and has been a part-time sports reporter and scoreboarder for the Deseret News since Oct. 2012.

Follow him on Twitter @RLove7724

EMAIL: rlove@deseretnews.com