1 of 102
Matt Slocum, AP
Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll celebrates after the NFL Super Bowl XLVIII football game against the Denver Broncos Sunday, Feb. 2, 2014, in East Rutherford, N.J. The Seahawks won 43-8. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

Final update

Final: Seattle Seahawks 43, Denver Broncos 8

The Seahawks routed the Broncos in every aspect of the game to claim its first-ever Super Bowl victory.

The Broncos attempted an onside kick to start the fourth quarter but weren't able to recover. Russell Wilson promptly dispelled any idea of a comeback as he found Doug Baldwin for a 10-yard touchdown. That placed the final nail in the Broncos' coffin.

From that point on, both teams were content to just run out the clock. To add insult to injury, Chris Clemons forced a Payton Manning fumble with less than four minutes left in the game.

The only bad news for Seattle is that Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman left the game with an ankle injury and did not return. However, this was a total victory for the Seahawks as they scored on offense, defense and special teams.

Utah locals fourth quarter update

USU graduate Robert Turbin had a huge run called back due to a holding penalty. However, he got more carries after Marshawn Lynch left the game and finished with nine carries for 25 yards. Bobby Wagner made plays all night long as he finished with 10 tackles. Paul McQuistan earned his Super Bowl ring working on the offensive line. Meanwhile, former Ute Zane Beadles will have to wait at least another year before picking up his first ring despite a good performance on the Broncos offensive line.

Third quarter update

Third quarter: Seattle Seahawks 36, Denver Broncos 8

Just like the first half, Seattle started the third quarter with a score within the first 12 seconds. Percy Harvin returned the opening kickoff of the half 87 yards to put the Seahawks up 29-0.

Peyton Manning and the Broncos continued to shoot themselves in the foot in the third quarter. Denver's first drive of the second half ended with a punt, and the second ended with a Damaryius Thomas fumble recovered by Byron Maxwell of Seattle.

It didn't take long for Russell Wilson to make the Broncos pay. Wilson found Jermaine Kearse for a 23-yard touchdown.

But at least Manning was able to end the shutout as he found Thomas for a 14-yard touchdown. He also found Wes Welke for a two-point conversion.

Utah locals third quarter update

USU graduate Robert Tubin had his first carry for the Seahawks in the third quarter for three yards, and fellow Aggie Bobby Wagner has now made 10 tackles in three quarters of play. Former Ute Zane Beadles continued to fight on the offensive line for Denver, while Weber State graduate Paul McQuistan contributed on the Seahawk offensive line.

Halftime update

Halftime: Seattle Seahawks 22, Denver Broncos 0

Two Peyton Manning interceptions turned into 14 points for Seattle in the second quarter.

The first interception happened late in the first quarter, and the Seahawks responded with a 37-yard touchdown drive capped with a 1-yard Marshawn Lynch run into the end zone.

The Broncos seemed to pick up a rhythm on the next drive, but it ended with a Malcolm Smith returning Manning's second pick 69 yards for a touchdown. Manning and the Broncos were able to drive to the Seattle 19-yard line on the next drive, but the drive died as Manning's fourth-down pass fell incomplete.

Seattle is dominating Denver in every aspect of the game, including first downs (9 vs. 6), total offense (166 vs. 123) and on the scoreboard.

Utah locals second quarter update

Utah graduate Zane Beadles continued to play left guard for the Broncos, and former Weber State player Paul McQuistan played on the Seahawks' offensive line. Former Aggie Bobby Wagner had six tackles in the first half for Seattle, and fellow former USU player Robert Turbin did not record a stat in the first half for the Seahawks.

First quarter update

First quarter: Seattle Seahawks 8, Denver Broncos 0

The first quarter of Super Bowl XLVIII was one of the most bizarre in football history, including a safety, two challenges and an unusual score.

The Broncos' first possession ended in disaster as center Manny Ramirez hiked the ball over Payton Manning's head and into the end zone. Running back Knowshown Moreno was able to jump on the ball to save the touchdown, but Denver gave up the safety.

This would be the quickest score in Super Bowl history as the safety occurred just 12 seconds into the game.

After the safety, Russell Wilson and the Seahawks drove down to the Denver 1-yard line and had to settle for a field goal after a failed challenge from Seattle head coach Pete Carroll.

Denver's second possession ended in a three-and-out. The Seahawks drove into the red zone again, but had to settle for a 33-yard Steven Hauschka field goal.

To cap this miserable quarter off for the Broncos, Manning threw an interception picked off by Kam Chancellor. In short, the first quarter was all Seahawks.

Utah locals first quarter update

Former Ute Zane Beadles started at left guard for the Broncos, and he made a head-up play by recovering a Denver fumble. Weber State graduate Paul McQuistan saw time at left guard for Seattle. Former Utah State star linebacker Bobby Wagner made one tackle, including one that forced a Denver three-and-out. USU running back Robert Turbin did not record a stat in the first quarter.

Lafe Peavler is a sports writer for the Deseret News