1 of 2
Washington County Sheriff’s Office
Police arrested Stacy Barnard in connection with a trailer fire that killed one man Wednesday morning.

HURRICANE, Washington County — Investigators arrested a woman in connection with a trailer fire that killed one man Wednesday morning.

Stacy Barnard, 43, was booked into jail for investigation of aggravated arson, Hurricane Police Sgt. Brandon Buell said in a statement Wednesday evening. Police said evidence showed that Barnard was living in the trailer that ignited Wednesday, killing one man.

Police and fire officials were called to a structure fire at 237 W. State around 3:30 a.m., Buell said. When they arrived, they found a travel trailer "fully engulfed with flames," he said.

Barnard was in the trailer at the time of the initial call to police, according to police. She was able to escape the flames, but one man inside the trailer was not.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze within 15 minutes. They found one man dead in the trailer. The man's connection to Barnard was not known Wednesday.

"This arrest is based on probable cause and evidence obtained by investigators that (Barnard) allegedly started the fire," Buell said.

Barnard and one other person had been living in the trailer that was stationed in the trailer park "for quite some time," Buell said.

The man's identification is being withheld pending a positive identification from the medical examiner and notification of family.

"This is an unfortunate tragedy, and our hearts go out to the family involved," Buell said.

Police expect that the autopsy will reveal additional information about the fire and the man's death.

Barnard may face additional charges depending on the outcome of the autopsy, Buell said in his statement. Those investigating the case are still trying to determine a possible motive for the alleged arson.

Police believe the arsonist used an accelerant to speed up the fire. An "accelerant detection dog" from the Utah State Fire Marshal's Office was brought in to help with the investigation.

The trailer was a total loss. Buell estimated the damage at $40,000.

The incident prompted the closure of State Street for at least an hour while firefighters fought the blaze.

Contributing: Emiley Morgan

Email: wevans@deseretnews.com