1 of 3
Unified police detectives are investigating a homicide during an alleged home invasion robbery. But as of Friday, they didn't know where the shooting or alleged robbery occurred.

TAYLORSVILLE — Unified police detectives are investigating a homicide during an apparent home invasion robbery, but they didn't know Friday where the shooting or alleged robbery occurred.

Nicholas T. Monte, 23, of South Salt Lake, was driven by a friend to Pioneer Valley Hospital about 8:45 p.m. Wednesday to be treated for a gunshot wound. He later died at the hospital from his injuries.

Friday, police announced the arrest of Geno Alex Gonzales, 22, of Salt Lake City. But Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said investigators still aren't completely sure what happened.

Gonzales told detectives that he and three others, including Monte, broke into a home in the area of 5300 South and 3200 West to rob someone of drugs and money, Hoyal said. After they entered, someone inside the house shot Monte. The group then fled.

The problem investigators were facing Friday was that no one had reported a home invasion robbery or a shooting inside their home, and no one had reported hearing gunshots. Investigators couldn't even verify the home invasion story was true, Hoyal said.

"His story, he was giving contradicting statements and false information in his interview (with detectives). A lot of this is just information we have to go on," the lieutenant said.

Gonzales was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder and obstruction of justice. Hoyal said detectives did not believe Gonzales was the one who shot Monte, but because Monte was shot while Gonzales was allegedly committing a felony crime, he can potentially be charged with the crime.

Anyone with information on the possible home invasion or shooting is asked to call police at 801-743-5844.

As of Friday, investigators had also not identified the other two people who participated in the home invasion.

Gonzales was convicted of misdemeanor drug crimes in 2009, according to Utah state court records.

Monte was convicted of misdemeanor disorderly conduct and threat of violence in 2012. Charging documents say Monte threatened people in front of the Boys and Girls Club by flashing and yelling gang signs shortly after a fight in front of the facility had broken up. He was convicted in 2009 of firing a gun from a car. The charge was reduced from a felony to a misdemeanor and Monte was sentenced to jail, according to court records. In a 2009 case, he was convicted of misdemeanor criminal mischief.

Email: preavy@deseretnews.com

Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam