Linsey Craig, UVU Athletics
UVU midfielder Chelsea Dunn (17) shifts her eyes upfield Friday against Idaho.

OREM — Despite a decisive advantage in shots, shots on goal and corner kicks, Utah Valley dropped a 1-0 decision to Idaho at Clyde Field on Friday night.

UVU (5-6-0, 3-1-0 WAC) outshot Idaho (3-8-1, 3-1-0), 21-11, fired 12 shots on target compared to eight from the Vandals and led in total corner kicks, 7-3. But the Wolverines were unable to convert their statistical dominance into figures on the scoring column, suffering only their second shutout of the season.

After 80 minutes of scoreless soccer, Idaho broke through with the decisive goal. Kaysha Darcy took possession at the top of the penalty area and slid a pass to her right toward a streaking J.P. Burress. The UVU defense was late to react, and Burress snuck her shot past Wolverine goalkeeper Lauren Sack to seal the victory.

Goalkeeper Marina Siegl kept the Vandals alive for much of the match, recording 11 saves including a few crucial stops early in the second period.

It was the second straight match that UVU has been shut out by the Vandals as last year's meeting in Orem was decided by the same score line.

Sack played all 90 minutes in the match, as did defenders Lexi Felis and Sara Ranck. Midfielder Lexi Robison unleashed five shots in the match to lead Utah Valley, three of which were on target. Natalie Baker, Haley Curtis and Jamie Brown also took three shots.

In a scoreless first half, Utah Valley created the bulk of the scoring chances, outshooting the Vandals, 10-5, over the first 45 minutes. Siegl was coerced into five saves over that time, the majority of which were routine in nature.

Midway through the second half, midfielder Kim Stratford looked to have put the Wolverines ahead when her strike from 10 yards found the back of the net. But stifling the celebration was the assistant referee's raised flag, ruling Stratford offside and negating the tally.

Comment on this story

If Utah Valley had produced a heightened attacking level over the first 80 minutes, the offensive focus shifted into overdrive after Idaho's 81st minute strike. The Wolverines produced a pair of last-gasp opportunities, missing the equalizer by the slimmest of margins. A corner kick from Kali Stubbs in the 88th minute found the head of Robison just six yards out, but the headed effort fell straight into the grasp of Vandal substitute goalkeeper Torell Stewart.

Just 40 seconds later, Stratford earned herself another attempt, firing a shot from 18 yards that beat Stewart but scooted just to the left of the far post.

UVU must now shift its attention to Sunday and a meeting with preseason WAC favorite Seattle University. The Redhawks entered Friday night's match with Bakersfield with a 6-6-2 overall record and a 3-0-0 WAC record. That match kicks off at 1 p.m. at Clyde Field.

Kellen Hiser is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit