1 of 2
(Salt Lake County Jail)
Timothy Troy Walker, 35, was charged Wednesday with aggravated murder in the Sept. 1 shooting death of Draper Police Sgt. Derek Johnson.

SALT LAKE CITY — The man accused of shooting and killing a Draper police sergeant told hospital staff not to try and save him, according to court documents.

After allegedly shooting Draper Police Sgt. Derek Johnson, Timothy Troy Walker shot himself in the jaw in an apparent suicide attempt.

Walker was unable to speak while being treated at Intermountain Medical Center, but he wrote notes to hospital staff "indicating he does not want to be resuscitated and expressed remorse for what had happened," according to a newly released search warrant obtained by the Deseret News.

Walker, 35, is charged with aggravated murder.

Prosecutors say Walker shot and killed Johnson without warning near 13200 S. Fort St. (850 East) just before 6 a.m. on Sept. 1, while Johnson was pulling up to see if they needed help with their broken down vehicle.

The Volvo that Walker and Traci Lee Vaillancourt, 34, were driving had a flat tire and had run out of gas. Vaillancourt, who was also shot by Walker, according to court documents, is facing two counts of obstruction of justice for telling police three different stories about what happened that night, with none of the versions matching the physical evidence.

Johnson was hit twice with hollow-point bullets from a 9 mm handgun, once in his neck and the other striking below his armpit and right above where his bullet-proof vest stopped, according to the search warrant affidavit filed in 3rd District Court.

Vaillancourt was shot in her right shoulder, and the slug came to rest in her chest, according to the search warrant.

Detectives interviewed the owner of the Volvo that Walker and Vaillancourt were both driving and living in. The owner said he had loaned his vehicle to Walker a few weeks before the shooting, according to court documents.

When investigators talked to Walker's two brothers and sister to notify them about what had happened, they told police that Walker had recently showed them a Glock pistol he had purchased. When he showed it to them, he pulled it out from underneath the driver's seat of the Volvo, according to the affidavit.

Likewise, Vaillancourt's sister said she too was shown the handgun by Walker and Vaillancourt before the shooting.

Detectives found "blood and bloody handprints" on the outside of the Volvo after the shooting but did not see any blood inside the vehicle, according to court records. Officers further noted the inside of the vehicle was so cluttered with items that only two people could fit inside.

Vaillancourt, however, wrote a note to detectives while still at the hospital that she was shot inside the car and did not know who shot her, according to the search warrant.

Walker and Vaillancourt's next scheduled court hearing is Oct. 8.

Email: preavy@deseretnews.com

Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam