Police detained two suspects after a reported kidnapping and a chase across two counties that left the alleged victim with minor injuries.

SALT LAKE CITY — A chase spanning two counties Wednesday led to the arrest of two people Wednesday night and left one woman with minor injuries.

The incident began around 4:30 p.m. at the McDonald's at 210 W. 500 South when officers were called on reports of a possible kidnapping, Salt Lake Police Lt. Josh Scharman said. Officers were told that two suspects, described as an Hispanic male and caucasian female, took a woman from the restaurant.

The duo took the woman to Park City via I-80.

"During the course of that commute to Park City, there was an assault that occurred and the victim was able to escape," Scharman said. "Some citizens were able to call 911 and help facilitate her escape."

Those bystanders who came to the woman's aid were also able to provide police with a description of the vehicle, which then helped Utah Highway Patrol troopers situate themselves on I-80 in both directions.

UHP Lt. Randall Richey said the suspect vehicle was spotted as it came up over Parleys Summit and was followed down the canyon. The suspects exited onto I-215 and then 3300 South, striking two other vehicles during the course of the chase.

After the male suspect drove the vehicle into a Millcreek cul-de-sac, he crashed the car and ran, police said. His female accomplice surrendered to police.

The male suspect quickly followed the same course.

"Once he realized the officers were on him and the canine was there, he gave himself up at that point," Richey said.

Scharman said Salt Lake police responded and took custody of the two suspects. One of the suspects was sent to the hospital to be checked as a precaution.

Comment on this story

Police had also picked up the victim from Summit County sheriff's officials and were in the process of interviewing all three of them Wednesday night. The lieutenant said the victim had only suffered superficial injuries, was stable and didn't require hospitalization.

"(The alleged kidnapping) doesn't appear to be completely random," Scharman said. "We're talking to the suspects and the victim to determine what the relationship was, how she ended up in the vehicle, what happened in the vehicle and how she got out of the vehicle. All those details are of great interest to us."

The suspects were being detained while the alleged kidnapping was investigated, Scharman said.


Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam