HERRIMAN — Scott and Shannon know it's not uncommon for motorists to lose their tempers and make gestures toward other drivers.

But what the couple, who asked that their last names not be used because of safety concerns, never expected was that an alleged road rage incident would continue all the way to their house nearly 40 minutes after the initial event.

"Could I ever fathom taking it to the extent of pulling them over, following him home and coming to their home? Heavens no. Never," Shannon said. "I think the biggest thing is your home is supposed to be your sanctuary. It's supposed to be where you come from refuge from the rest of the world and you have down time with your family, you relax there. And that's not what we've been doing the last five days."

Now, in an effort to find the person allegedly responsible as well as warn others, Scott and Shannon's story has spread quickly over social media thanks to a Facebook post.

"We were kind of blown away by how fast it kind of took off," Scott said.

By Monday afternoon, Shannon's Facebook posting recounting what happened had been reposted on other Facebook walls more than 360 times.

The couple said the incident began about 5 p.m. Thursday when Scott was driving home from work in the area of 13400 South, west of the Bangerter Highway. He said a man on a motorcycle apparently thought that Scott had cut him off. The motorcyclist gave Scott an obscene gesture. Scott said he made a gesture back as if to say, "What is your problem?"

As the two continued down the road, the gestures and words continued. Scott eventually turned off the road, but then watched as the motorcyclist turned around and went after him. Scott didn't want the man following him all the way home, so he pulled off to the side of the road and got out of his car.

"I asked him when we got out of the car, and he said I cut him off. And I laughed. I said, 'You know that's not true,'" Scott said. "I was in no way looking for a fight."

But as the name calling continued, the motorcyclist took off his helmet and slammed it against the mirror on Scott's car, he said.

"So I pushed him to get him away from the car and he rolls around and just punches me right in the throat," Scott said. "And then it turned into a fistfight."

By that time, other motorists and nearby construction crews saw what was happening and attempted to break up the fight while calling police. The motorcyclist didn't wait for Unified police to arrive and took off.

After Scott got home a short time later, he said he was outside with his 8-year-old son just when a Ford F-250 drove down the street. Scott saw the driver was the same motorcyclist who had apparently gone home, switched vehicles and went back out looking for him.

"One in a million chance. He came back looking for me because he wasn't happy with the results and came down the street and there I was," he said. "So I immediately yell at my son to run. I think out of everything that's gone on, the fact that he's robbed my son of his peace of mind here at home, he took that from him. My son thought he was running for his life."

Scott also ran into his house, called 911 and grabbed a camera. He said he watched as the man sped up and down his street, and finally parked in his driveway and got out. As the man reached in his truck for something, Scott, a concealed weapons permit holder, got his firearm. He said he walked out of his house just in time to see the man holding a metal bar and smash out one of the front windows of his house.

"He said, 'What are you going to do, shoot me?' I said, 'If you take one step toward me with that bar, I won't have a choice,'" Scott said he replied.

The man got back in the truck and drove away. But the incident scared Scott and Shannon so bad that they had their two children stay with friends over the weekend and they found themselves constantly looking out their windows, fearing that the man would come back.

"That's all we've done. And I think the hardest part for me is that my 8-year-old son won't quit doing it. I'm always looking over my shoulder, looking out there to see if I recognize any car or the motorcycle or anything like that. But the fact that he won't stop doing it, he won't even finish a bowl of cereal now.

"The way the guy wanted to keep escalating this. It wasn't good enough with just gestures. Then it wasn't good enough for a fistfight. Then it wasn't good enough that he nailed me with the helmet a few times and used it as a weapon. And it wasn't good enough for any of that, so he came looking for me and came looking for my house," Scott said.

"Just to have your kids fear for their own safety while they're here, where they should just be able to be themselves. It's really hard to watch," Shannon added. "We hope he's gotten his fix of whatever it is that he needed. But we don't know. So you're on high alert. You're waiting."

Scott said he believed a woman recorded the first confrontation on her cellphone and is hoping she will step forward or send her video to police.

Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said Monday that the investigation into the incident was continuing, including locating and interviewing the motorcyclist to get his side of the story.

Email: preavy@deseretnews.com

Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam