LOGAN — A fire in the basement of a building on Utah State University's campus Tuesday night could have been much worse if not for the modern fire sprinkler system that was installed.

A little after 8 p.m., the Logan Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at the College of Agriculture Building, 510 N. 900 East. Crews arrived to find smoke coming from a basement lab, according to Logan Fire Marshal Craig Humphreys. An overhead sprinkler that was activated had put out most of the fire before firefighters arrived.

Damage was estimated at $25,000, mostly in water damage.

The cause of the fire was determined to be combustible materials placed too closely to a heater that was being used as part of a science experiment, Humphreys said.

Pat Reavy, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam