1 of 8
Winston Armani, Deseret News
A man appears to be holding a gun to his side following a high-speed chase from Lehi to Kaysville that ended on I-15 Feb. 25, 2013, near the Layton Parkway exit after 5 p.m. Witnesses reported hearing gunshots as the chase ended in a standoff. Northbound I-15 was closed while the situation was investigated.

KAYSVILLE — Northbound I-15 remained closed Monday night and traffic was backed up for hours after a high-speed chase came to an end in an officer-involved shooting near the Layton Parkway exit.

The chase ended when police stopped the man's vehicle and he got out, holding a gun and raising it in the direction of officers surrounding him, Department of Public Safety spokesman Dwayne Baird said. Officers shot the man multiple times, and he died at the scene.

The man's name was not released Monday.

The pursuit of a man in a black pickup truck started in Lehi and at times reached speeds of 100 mph, shutting down I-15 in both directions. The driver's tires were spiked near 4500 South in Salt Lake County, but the man continued on the vehicle's rims for about 25 miles until police were able to perform a PIT maneuver and spin out the truck in Kaysville shortly after 5 p.m.

No officers or bystanders were injured in the chase, and no secondary accidents occurred.

The shooting will be investigated by the State Bureau of Investigation, Baird said.

"It's a situation we never want to happen," he said. "Our obligation and responsibility is the safety of the public. If an individual is threatening our officers or members of the public, we have to take the necessary steps to stop that threat."

The man was suspected in a Draper bank robbery Friday at Chase Bank, 223 E. 12300 South, Baird said. Draper and Lehi police began the chase about 4 p.m. and were joined by the Utah Highway Patrol, Utah County Sheriff's Office, Davis County Sheriff's Office and other agencies.

Draper police described the suspected bank robber as a slim, white man, between 5 feet 8 inches and 5 feet 10 inches tall, with short blond hair. He approached a teller and presented a note, demanding money. Police did not specify whether a weapon was used in the robbery but provided security images of the man in hopes of identifying him.

Following Monday's chase, the man was seen holding a gun as he stood outside of his truck while officers held him at gunpoint from positions behind police about a dozen police vehicles. Witnesses heard multiple gunshots. An ambulance and a medical helicopter were summoned, and paramedics were seen treating the man while he was lying on the ground.

Southbound I-15 re-opened soon after the standoff ended, but northbound lanes between Park Lane in Farmington and 200 North in Kaysville remained closed Monday night, causing traffic to spill onto congested alternate routes. 

E-mail: [email protected]

Twitter: McKenzieRomero