PORTLAND, Ore. — Utah Valley University swept both ends of a doubleheader on Saturday at the University of Portland, winning 7-6 in 10 innings before a 3-1 win in the second game.

Kade Andrus' 10th-inning double drove home Kai Hatch for the winning run in the opener and it was Hatch's two-run single in the sixth inning of game two that proved to be the difference.

Ryan Evans tossed 2.1 innings in relief to get the win in the first game — his first victory as a Wolverine. Evans didn't allow a run on two hits. Adam Gunn started the second game and tossed six innings allowing just one run and striking out four. Justin Campbell escaped trouble in two-plus scoreless innings and Brian Whatcott got the final three outs for the save.

For Whatcott, it's the senior's first save since May 2, 2010, prior to missing two seasons due to injury.

"We got some great pitching today. Guys made some big pitches in big situations and we got just enough timely hitting. We still have a lot to work on but we saw some good things today," UVU coach Eric Madsen said.

The Wolverines (3-3) erased a 4-0 deficit after five innings in the opener, scoring three in the sixth after seeing Portland starter Travis Radke sail through the first five innings.

The Pilots added a run in the bottom of the sixth to take a 5-3 lead before UVU took advantage of two bases-loaded walks — to Willie Pratt and Riley White — tying the game in the seventh and chasing Radke in the process. Radke struck out 10 over six-plus innings but ended up allowing five runs.

Portland regained the lead with a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the inning before giving the run back on a two-out throwing error at third, which allowed Colby Croft to score the tying run. In the 10th, Hatch was hit by a pitch to start the inning and moved to second off Croft's sac-bunt before scoring on Andrus' double down the right field line.

Portland got the tying run on to lead off the inning, but after a sacrifice, Evans struck out Caleb Whalen and got Turner Gill to fly out to Jordy Hart in center to end it.

UVU won despite being out-hit 13-7. White and Andrus had two hits apiece, while Cody Lenahan led Portland with a three-hit game.

In the second game, with the score tied 1-1, Pratt walked and White singled to lead off the fifth. Mark Krueger's groundout moved both runners up before Hatch lined one back up the middle to plate both runners.

Comment on this story

Following Gunn's outing, Campbell escaped the seventh unscathed after a walk and a single put runners at first and third with no outs. He struck out Chet Thompson looking before getting Kramer Scott to ground into an inning-ending 6-4-3 double play.

After a leadoff walk in the ninth, Campbell was lifted for Whatcott, who struck out Bo Cornish before a walk to Thompson put two aboard. Scott struck out for the second out, and after a wild pitch put the tying run in scoring position, Ryan Barr fouled out to Croft to end the game.

Both teams finished with six hits in the game with Hatch's two hits and two RBIs leading the way.

The series concludes on Sunday at noon PT with Blake Krahenbuhl scheduled to start for Utah Valley.

Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.