1 of 12
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SWAT team members look for suspects at a Motel 6 after a shooting in a Midvale neighborhood Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013. Unified police detectives resumed searching Wednesday morning the home where three people were killed and a fourth seriously injured after being shot.

MIDVALE — Unified police detectives on Wednesday resumed searching the home where they say three people were murdered and a fourth was seriously wounded.

Meanwhile, the statewide manhunt for two men wanted in connection with the triple homicide continued. Police believe David Fresques, 25, and a second unidentified man are on the run.

As the search continued Wednesday, police arrested Jose Fernando Garcia, who was renting the Midvale home, for investigation of obstruction of justice in the case, Unified police Lt. Justin Hoyal confirmed.

Investigators released few new details Wednesday but clarified that 10 people were believed to be inside the house at 8286 S. Adams St. (450 West) when the shootings occurred just after 8 a.m Tuesday. Omar Jarman, 35, Shontay Young, 34, and Danielle Lucero, 26, were killed. A fourth person — an adult woman — was seriously injured. Four others — three adult males and an adult female — were not injured.

Steve Jarman said his brother, Omar, was adopted into the family from Colombia when he was 10.

"We're in shock and it's very sad to hear, because he was a big part of our family," he said of his brother's death.

He described his brother as a good person and a good father who had a great smile. But his family knew Omar had demons he could never shake. Jarman said his brother had a well-established drug habit.

"From a pretty early age he did start to hang around with, maybe a bad crowd. As he got older and went through life, it seemed to get a little bit worse. But he would kind of go up and down to where there would be periods of time when he would do really well, and periods of time when, you know, would not do very well," Steve Jarman said.

Omar Jarman would disappear for months at a time, his brother said, with no way for his family to contact him. Family members often didn't know where he was living.

The last time Jarman said he saw his brother was at Christmas. During that time, he said he was like the Omar of old.

"It was the best I've seen him in many years," he said. "That's how I remember him and I'm glad that's how I saw him last time. … He really was a good person underneath everything else."

When he wasn't on drugs, Omar Jarman was a great person, his brother said. He had tried to get help for his addiction several times, but it never worked out. Steve Jarman said it was a classic case of wanting to reach out for help but not knowing how to do it.

He hopes other families can learn from his brother's death by doing everything possible to make sure siblings and children didn't hang out with the wrong crowd, especially at an early age.

"We knew that he was hanging around with people that he shouldn't be associating with," Jarman said. "But he's a 35-year-old adult and he's going to choose and make the choices that he has. But just knowing that he chose to hang around those types of people and not really knowing what the consequence might be, that's the thing I think is the hardest for me."

Omar Jarman is survived by a 12-year-old son, seven siblings and his mother and father. His parents are currently serving LDS missions in Fiji. They were scheduled to fly back to Utah to be with the family and will return to finish their mission after the funeral.

The two others who police say were in the house when the shootings occurred are  Fresques and a second unidentified man. Dozens of police officers searched for them Tuesday and continued those efforts Wednesday.

The car Fresques was believed to be driving was found abandoned a couple of hours after the shootings in the parking lot of a nearby Motel 6, 7263 S. Catalpa Road. Investigators were unsure Wednesday if Fresques walked away at that point or was picked up by someone in another vehicle.

Fresques was known to be associated with some of the people in the house, Hoyal said. And while a motive for the shootings was still unknown, Fresques is a documented gang member and the residence is a "known narcotics house," according to police. A SWAT team served a drug-related search warrant at the house about a month ago. The warrant was served after undercover officers made drug purchases at the house, Hoyal said. When the warrant was served, SWAT said it seized drug paraphernalia inside.

Neighbors also reported seeing frequent short-term traffic in front of the house at all hours.

According to Utah state court records, two renters of the house were currently in the process of being evicted. New filings were processed in court just a few days ago.

Jose C. Velazquez, the owner of the property, filed an eviction notice against Garcia and Esther Arredondo. In his court filings, Velazquez claimed the occupants were behind on rent, had caused significant damage, had added roommates without permission, built two extra rooms in the backyard in addition to "trashing" the backyard. He also said the city of Midvale had sent him violation notices about storage in the front yard.

In their counterclaim, Garcia and Arredondo said the damage to the property was caused by police "when they served a search warrant in which Jose is being wrongfully accused of," according to court records.

Fresques was sentenced to one to 15 years at the Utah State Prison in 2007 for robbery and simple assault, according to court records. Most recently, he was charged with disorderly conduct and public intoxication in September. At that time, the court listed his address as a Main Street residence in Midvale, not far from the shooting scene.

Fresques' criminal record also includes convictions for forgery in 2011 in which he was sentenced to one year in jail; forgery and a weapons violation in 2007; criminal trespassing on school property and possession of drug paraphernalia in another 2007 case in which he was sentenced to six months in jail; illegally carrying a concealed weapon in 2006; and disorderly conduct, also in 2006.

Court records also show that Jarman had an extensive criminal history dating back nearly 15 years. In 1999, Jarman was convicted of three drug-related felonies in Davis County, including drug distribution. He was sentenced to a year in jail and ordered to pay restitution to the Davis Metro Narcotics Strike Force.

He also was convicted of misdemeanor drug or DUI crimes in 2002, 2004, 2005, 2009 and 2012. In addition, Jarman was convicted of felony drug possession in 2005 and sentenced to 90 days in the Davis County Jail.

Most recently, Jarman was charged in 3rd District Court in January with felony drug possession after Unified police found a bag of meth in his pocket, according to court documents. A warrant was issued for his arrest on Jan. 28 for failing to appear in court and was still outstanding at the time of his death.

Anyone with information on Fresques or the killings is asked to call police at 801-743-7000. Police say Fresques and the second man should both be considered armed and dangerous.

E-mail: preavy@desnews.com, syi@ksl.com

Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam