PROVO, Utah – The BYU women’s tennis team won its second match in two weeks as it defeated the Utah State Aggies 6-1 on Saturday at the Indoor Tennis Courts.
“The team played really well today,” head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “It was a tough match because Utah State is a great team. The girls fought hard and we came out on top.”
The Cougars (2-0) earned their first 2-0 start since 2007 and improved their overall record to 8-0 against the Aggies (1-1).
Senior Morgan Anderson and Mackenna Maddox finished their doubles match first, topping Kallie Sperry and Kristina Voytsekhovich 8-2. BYU then clinched the doubles point as senior Aubrey Paul and junior Desiree Tran captured a 8-4 win over Hillary Hays and Julie Tukuafu.
On court 1, the number one doubles duo of Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Nicolette Tran fought back from a 0-2 deficit to top the No. 5 regionally ranked pair of Mackenzie Davis and Jaci West, 8-7(4).
Sheehan-Dizon also defeated her opponent in singles play 6-1, 6-2. Maddox finished next as she beat Voytsekhovich 6-2, 6-2.
Desiree Tran’s 6-4, 6-2 victory over West on court 2 sealed the win for the Cougars.
Nicolette Tran and Paul wrapped up the match with wins of their own, 6-4, 6-2 and 6-4, 6-4, respectively.
BYU’s next matchup is on the road against Nevada on Feb. 8.
1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) def. Davis/West (USU) 8-7(4)Comment on this story
2. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) def. Sperry/Voytsekhovich (USU) 8-2
3. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) def. Hays/Tukuafu (USU) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. McKenzie Davis (USU) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
2. Desiree Tran (BYU) def. Jaci West (USU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Julie Tukuafu (USU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) def. Kristina Voytsekhovich (USU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Kallie Sperry (USU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Hillary Hays (USU) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 4, 2, 1, 6, 5
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.