PROVO, Utah – The ninth-ranked BYU women’s soccer team defeated UVU 1-0 with a late first-half goal Thursday at South Field.

“I thought we played well overall,” head coach Jennifer Rockwood said. “I would have liked to have scored a few more times, but we got the win.”

The win against UVU helped BYU improve its record to 11-1 on the season. The win also marked its seventh shut out and ninth-straight win.

UVU falls to 1-9-1 on the season, unable to break a four-game losing streak.

BYU dominated the majority of the first half leading UVU 11 shots to one but were not able to score until late in the first half. Three of the Cougars’ attempts came from headers that sailed to the right and left of the goal. Even though BYU remained scoreless for most of the first half, the BYU defense allowed only one corner kick from the UVU offense.

BYU’s closet shot, before its goal, came 30 minutes in with an outside shot from Jaiden Thornock that bounced off the goalie’s hands and the cross bar.

The only goal of the night came from Jessica Ringwood with 40 seconds left in the first half on an assist from Dana Oldroyd Cusick. Cusick crossed the ball up to Ringwood who crossed in front of the goalie, burying the ball in the back of the net. Ringwood finished the game with five shots to lead all players.

UVU’s one shot on goal in the first half came 13 minutes in from Lexi Felis. Felis tried to cross the ball to the middle, but a BYU defender deflected the ball and took back possession.

Comment on this story

BYU came out strong in the second half by getting several shots on goal early but again were not able to capitalize on its attempts. UVU’s second and last shot of the game also came early in the second half but was prevented by a diving save from BYU’s goalkeeper Erica Owens. Twenty minutes into the half BYU continued to dominate with 16 shots to UVU's two, while only allowing the Wolverines into Cougar territory twice.

With 14 minutes left in the game BYU had its last solid chance to score off a shot by Cloee Colohan, which she aimed toward the left corner of the net. UVU’s goalie Lauren Sack deflected the ball off the left cross bar preventing a second BYU goal.

“Our preseason ended as well as we could have hoped for,” Rockwood said. “Now, we have to get ready to play in a very tough conference.”

The women’s soccer team is back in action Friday, Sept. 5, in Provo against Santa Clara.

Steven Tew is an SID at BYU Athletic Communications. He can be contacted at