1 of 3
, Salt Lake County Jail
Ryan Randy Robinson, 31, was ordered Friday to stand trial for murder in the shooting death of his girlfriend, 25-year-old Shantelle Reid, on April 8, 2012.

SALT LAKE CITY — When Shantelle Reid was shot and killed in April, she was planning to donate a kidney to her older brother.

"She would do anything for anyone that she loved," that brother, Jay Reid, said Friday.

His sister would leave work to feed or care for her young son and was "an awesome mom" to Aaden, now 4 years old.

"He was her whole world once he was born," Reid said, adding that his young nephew often says: "Mommy's in heaven. She's all better now."

Friday, 3rd District Judge Randall Skanchy ordered Ryan Robinson, 31, to stand trial for murder, a first-degree felony, aggravated assault and possession of a deadly weapon by a restricted person, third-degree felonies, in connection with Shantelle Reid's death on April 9.

Robinson was the woman's boyfriend at the time and is accused of shooting and killing her in the basement of his parents' Murray home. He was shot by police shortly afterward after allegedly pointing a gun at a Murray police officer.

The judge's decision came after hearing from a final witness who testified Friday about his reaction to hearing what had happened between Robinson and Reid. Brian Bench was Robinson's teacher at Fortis College and knew the couple.

"I was devastated," he said. "We all loved Shantelle. Ryan was a very good friend. It was horrible."

Skanchy heard from most witnesses Wednesday, including Bench, who said he was dropping Robinson off at home when he went inside for a tour. He later left when the couple began to argue and testified he was at the home of a mutual friend when Robinson called that friend and reported that he had shot Reid. Bench then called 911.

Officer David Stallings testified that he was the first to respond to reports of a shooting at 6340 S. 725 East and saw a man he later determined to be Robinson walking in the road.

After calling out to the man, Stallings said Robinson ran, hid and then emerged with a gun in hand, which he placed under his own chin. Stallings testified that the man ignored several commands to drop the weapon, even as Stallings chased Robinson, but Robinson eventually stopped, turned and pointed his weapon at the officer, prompting Stallings to fire two rounds.

One struck Robinson in the abdomen. Prosecutors later determined the shooting was justified.

Reid was found in the basement of the home, dead from a gunshot wound to the head.

Jay Reid said Robinson had been dating his sister for about eight months when she was killed. His impression of Robinson was that he was "a cold person" who didn't remove his sunglasses when they met. The details of her death, although difficult, didn't come as a surprise to him.

"It's all pretty much stuff we've heard before," Reid said. "(Robinson) is always smirking. ... I don't know if he shows any remorse at all."

Police had been called after reports of a fight between Reid and Robinson earlier in the day and Jay Reid said the family knew that Robinson could be violent. Toward the end, Shantelle "was done" and was planning to move to St. George with her brother.

He said Robinson found out about the move and, in a phone conversation just days before her death, he overheard Robinson threaten to kill both Shantelle and whoever helped her leave. Still, no one believed he would go so far.

"I was in shock," Jay Reid said.

Robinson will be arraigned on the charges Sept. 10.

E-mail: [email protected] Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam