WILLARD, Box Elder County — A 24-year-old man was transported to the hospital in critical condition Tuesday after a cigarette he was smoking started a fire.

The man was smoking while filling his lawn mower with gasoline at 130 N. 100 East when the fumes ignited around 9 a.m., Willard Fire Chief Van Mund said. The fire burned the Willard man and spread to the lawn mower, several other vehicles and a shed.

"He had burns over about 30 to 40 percent of his body varying between first- and second-degree burns, possibly some third-degree," Mund said.

The man was transported by ambulance to a hospital in Brigham City, before being flown by medical helicopter to University Hospital. Mund said the man was in critical condition.

It is estimated the fire caused $80,000 to $90,000 in property damage. Mund said the shed, a motorcycle, two boats, two vehicles and various tools were completely destroyed in the blaze.

Emiley Morgan

Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam