FARMINGTON — A convicted killer who has been awaiting a new sentence since the Utah Supreme Court overturned his sentence of life without the possibility of parole in 2010 was again ordered to prison Wednesday.

His new sentence is 25 years to life for causing the death of 6-year-old Lacey Lawrence by torching his estranged wife's house in Layton.

In 2004, a jury determined that Mark Anthony Ott, 48, should be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole in exchange for pleading guilty to aggravated murder in a 2002 fire that killed the child.

Ott was charged in connection with what one judge called a "horrific night," when Ott entered the Layton home of his estranged wife, Donna Ott, and began repeatedly stabbing the woman's boyfriend, Allen Lawrence. When Ott's stepdaughter, Sarah Gooch, attempted to stop him, he also stabbed her in the torso. Lawrence and Gooch were able to exit the home and hide.

Donna Ott attempted to call police, but the phone lines had been cut. Mark Ott then left the home, only to later return with gasoline, which he poured throughout the house. He told Donna Ott to get everyone out as he set the house on fire. She was able to get her other daughter and her daughter's friend out of the home. Lawrence's daughter, Lacey, 6, was just staying at the home for the night, and by the time they realized she hadn't left the house, it was completely ablaze.

She was later found dead in a bedroom of the home.

Ott appealed his sentence to the state's high court and a new sentence was ordered after the Utah Supreme Court found the man had ineffective assistance of counsel.

On Wednesday, Ott pleaded guilty to an amended charge and was again sentenced.

The man pleaded guilty to murder — which was amended to a first-degree felony from a capital offense — attempted aggravated murder, aggravated burglary, aggravated arson, all first degree felonies, theft and aggravated assault, both second-degree felonies, and violation of a protection order, a class A misdemeanor. Second District Judge Michael Allphin sentenced the man to five years to life on each of the first-degree felonies, except for the attempted aggravated murder charge for which he was sentenced to six years to life. He was ordered to serve two to 20 years on the aggravated assault charge, one to 15 years on the theft charge and one year in jail on the misdemeanor, according to court records.

The judge ordered all of the sentences to run consecutive to each other, making the sentence 25 years to life.

E-mail: [email protected] Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam