, Family photo
Dylan Gibbs, a 14-year-old boy, remained hospitalized Tuesday, April 17, 2012, in critical condition after being struck by a truck Sunday in Sandy. Dylan was attempting to cross 10600 South near 390 East with his two brothers when he was hit just after 4:30 p.m. The three boys were walking home from church at the time.
At this point, there's a lot of uncertainties, a lot of unknowns. —Brady Gibbs

SALT LAKE CITY — Friends and family members asked the community Tuesday to keep Dylan Gibbs in their prayers.

Dylan, 14, was hit by car while crossing 10600 South near 400 East on Sunday. He remained in critical condition Tuesday at Primary Children's Medical Center and had not regained consciousness.

"Right now, Dylan is non-responsive to verbal cues," said family spokesman Brady Gibbs, Dylan's uncle.

Dylan was being kept heavily sedated until the swelling in his brain went down, Brady Gibbs said. His vital signs were stabilizing, he said, what will ultimately happen was still a "guessing game." Doctors have told the family they would know more over the next 48 to 72 hours.

"At this point, there's a lot of uncertainties, a lot of unknowns," Brady Gibbs said.

Dylan has received a lot of cards and support from well-wishers in the community. His father, Tracy Gibbs, asked the community to continue sending their messages.

"I would love to read those to Dylan. I think those will help with his recovery," he said. "Keep Dylan in your prayers. We're hopeful. We believe he will become conscious."

Residents have long complained about the area where Dylan was struck. Car traffic on that portion of 10600 South is heavy. But the area is routinely used by pedestrians and bicyclists as a trail intersects with the road. But there are no designated crosswalks or crossing signals, forcing bikers and pedestrians to go either to State Street or 700 East.

Brady Gibbs said his family also felt for the driver of the vehicle that hit Dylan. The driver was not cited for the accident. As of Tuesday, neither the driver nor his family had made contact with Dylan's family.

Pat Reavy

Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam