LOGAN — In the first of two days of Western Athletic Conference matches, the Utah State men’s tennis team fell 6-1 to the Vandals of the University of Idaho Friday at the Logan Sports Academy and Racquet Club.
With the loss, the Aggies fell to 4-10 overall and 0-2 in WAC matches. Idaho improved to 12-13 overall and 2-1 in league play.
At the onset of doubles play, it seemed the Aggies were on track for a successful afternoon. Every match became a fight to the finish, however, with just one USU pair coming out ahead.
USU junior Sven Poslusny and freshman Marcus Fritz battled from a three-point deficit to earn the win over Jose Bendeck and Cristobal Ramos-Salazar (9-8). Aggie brothers, junior Lenny Whiting and sophomore Andrew Whiting, fell to Abid Akbar and Andrew Dobbs (8-5), while Utah State senior Nate Ballam and freshman Matt Sweet were defeated by Marius Cirstea and Filip Fichtel (9-8).
Poslusny was the only Aggie to carry his success over to the singles field. He defeated Cirstea in two sets, 6-4, 6-3. Fritz fell to Akbar, 6-2, 6-3, while Sweet, playing with a hurt wrist, was taken down by Ramos-Salazar, 6-2, 6-3.
Lenny Whiting was the first to push his match to three sets, but in the end was defeated by Bendeck, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2. At the No. 6 position, freshman Curran Wearmouth lost to Idaho’s Alan Shin, 6-3, 6-4.
As the last to finish, Ballam’s third set became a super tie-breaker that put him over the edge, as he fell to Cesar Torres, 7-5, 3-6, 13-11.
The Aggie men continue WAC action Saturday morning when they take on the Warriors of the University of Hawaii. The match will get underway at 10 a.m. MT at the Sports Academy.
University of Idaho 6, Utah State 1
1. Sven Poslusny (USU) def. Marius Cirstea (UI) 6-4, 6-3
2. Abid Akbar (UI) def. Marcus Fritz (USU) 6-2, 6-1
3. C. Ramos Salazar (UI) def. Matt Sweet (USU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Jose Bendeck (UI) def. Lenny Whiting (USU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
5. Cesar Torres (UI) def. Nate Ballam (USU) 7-5, 3-6, 13-11
6. Alan Shin (UI) def. Curran Wearmouth (USU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Sven Poslusny/Marcus Fritz (USU) def. Jose Bendeck/C. Ramos Salazar (UI) 9-8
2. Abid Akbar/Andrew Dobbs (UI) def. Andrew Whiting/Lenny Whiting (USU) 8-5
3. Marius Cirstea/Filip Fichtel (UI) def. Nate Ballam/Matt Sweet (USU) 9-8
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.