Carbon County Sheriff's Office
Carbon County Sheriff's Capt. Guy Adams submitted his resignation Monday, April 9, 2012. It takes effect Friday, April 13, 2012. Adams, who has served as second in command to Sheriff James Cordova since 1998, is charged in 3rd District Court with three misdemeanor counts of criminal mischief. He is accused of "keying" three vehicles at a business that services emergency vehicles.

PRICE — When Guy Adams is arraigned April 16 on charges that he intentionally damaged three emergency vehicles, he'll no longer be a member of the Carbon County Sheriff's Office.

Adams, who held the rank of captain and served as Sheriff James Cordova's second in command since 1998, tendered his resignation this week, the sheriff confirmed. It takes effect Friday.

Adams, 44, was charged Feb. 15 with three misdemeanor counts of criminal mischief. Two are class A misdemeanors and one is a class B misdemeanor.

On Jan. 5, in the gated South Salt Lake lot for Premier Vehicle Installation, 3038 S. State, Adams put scratches on the hood and doors of three vehicles — a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500, a Syracuse police department squad car and a 2006 Ford Expedition belonging to the U.S. Forest Service, causing more than $1,500 damage, according to charges filed in 3rd District Court.

A report by South Salt Lake police noted that on one of the vehicles, "There were approximately 10 vertical scratches ½ (inch) in length on the driver's door."

Surveillance video showed Adams was the only person near those vehicles during the time the damage was believed to have occurred.

Adams and Cordova were at the shop that day to have a vehicle of their own repaired. Cordova later confronted Adams about the damage. When asked if he did it, Adams replied, "I don't think I did. ... I don't remember," the charges state.

When informed there was surveillance video, Adams allegedly told Cordova, "I'd have to see the video. I don't think I did." 

But while Cordova was on the phone with the lot owner, "Adams twice stated that he would pay the damages to make the charges go away," according to the charging documents.

The owner of the lot told prosecutors that Adams contacted him twice offering to pay for the damages and that "if the charges were not dropped he would lose his job."

E-mail: [email protected], Twitter: GeoffLiesik