1 of 8
Ryan Robinson and Shantelle Reid pose for a photo posted on Facebook. Police say Robinson shot and killed Reid Monday, April 9, 2012, following a fight at a home in Murray. Police shot and injured an armed Robinson as he tried to flee.
Neither one said anything physical had happened. It was an argument, it was over. —Jeff Maglish, Murray police detective

MURRAY — Some neighbors say they saw Ryan R. Robinson pull the back of Shantelle Reid's hair and punch her Monday.

But when police talked to Reid, they could not see signs of a physical altercation and Reid claimed she was OK.

"Neither one said anything physical had happened. It was an argument, it was over," Murray police detective Jeff Maglish said. "There was no physical evidence for the officers to have probable cause to make an arrest or to do anything further than find out what the situation was."

But as soon as police were gone, neighbors say the abuse continued.

"He got done talking to the cops and walked back and kind of shoved her into the back of the house," said neighbor Brenna Bausch.

Less than two hours later, police were called back to the home, only to find that Reid had been shot and killed.

The home at 6340 S. 725 East was still blocked off Tuesday as an active crime scene while investigators tried to piece together what led to the death of the 25-year-old woman.

Robinson, who turned 31 on Sunday, remained hospitalized Tuesday in stable condition after being shot in the torso Monday afternoon by police. Robinson was waving a gun as officers approached, apparently acting as if he was trying to get them to shoot him, according to at least one neighbor.

Murray police on Tuesday confirmed that the responding officer did see that Robinson had a gun, but could not immediately say whether he was waving it, how he was holding it or whether he fired a round.

Reid's family members and friends on Tuesday mourned their loss.

"She's been a good girl, she was a beautiful girl. She was a great person … (would) do anything for anybody," said Wallace Reid, her father.

Shantelle Reid is survived by her 3-year-old son, two brothers, a stepsister and her parents. Her father recalled how she enjoyed camping, fishing and the outdoors.

Wallace Reid said his daughter and Robinson had been dating for several months. When  he met Robinson in December, however, he said he wasn't impressed.

"He came over and he was shaking real bad and he didn't act like a normal person," Wallace Reid said. He and other family members tried to convince Shantelle to leave the man, especially after they learned about possible physical abuse.

"Family and I talked to her (about leaving) but she was stubborn," he said.

Shantelle Reid's young son had been living at her father's house. After she lost her job, Reid said his daughter didn't have a steady source of income or place to stay.

"She knew she would be moving around so she asked me if I would take care of him," he said Tuesday.

He never expected such a tragic outcome would ever occur.

"No, I never suspected that or I would have put an end to (her relationship)," Reid said.

On Monday, Murray police were called something between 3 p.m. and 3:10 p.m. on a report of a domestic violence incident in progress. Reid and Robinson were at the home of Robinson's parents while they were out of town. Neighbors watched as Reid left the house and started walking south down the street, shortly followed by Robinson who walked after her.

Robinson caught up to her several houses down the road. What happened at that point was still being sorted out Tuesday, said Murray police detective Jeff Maglish. Neighbors have given conflicting information, he said.

Bausch said Reid looked as though she was trying to leave Robinson and get away from him. "He like stopped her and pulled her hair and pulled her back and was punching," she said.

The two ended up in the yard of a woman who apparently knew Robinson because neighbors said they heard the woman call him by name, telling Robinson to stop. The woman had her son call 911.

Reid then walked back in the direction of the house.

"The girl was walking in front of him, like fast-paced walking, and he was behind her and you could tell they were yelling," Bausch recalled. "I thought she kept walking. It didn't make sense she'd go back inside the house with him."

But when officers arrived a short time later, both Reid and Robinson insisted they had only been having an argument.

"They were arguing, both parties were separated, they were asked individually if anything else was going on," Maglish said. Both denied any punches being thrown.

On all domestic violence calls, the department sends two officers so the parties can be separated and allowed to speak freely, according to Maglish. Officers will also check their backgrounds to make sure there are no outstanding warrants and take a good look at the people and the residence.

"We're also looking for other things. We want to make sure no dishes were broken or things thrown around the house," he said. Detectives noted that Reid appeared to be calm and was not frightened while officers talked to her.

If no one is being arrested, Maglish said in most cases a person cannot be forced to leave a home. The best an officer can do is offer to suggest one of the parties go somewhere else to cool off.

About 4:45 p.m. Monday, officers were called back to the residence on a "check the welfare" call. Maglish said the call was anonymous.

Bausch said she watched as Robinson left the house, holding a beer while a gun was tucked in his back waistline. She said he smiled and even waved at a neighbor and then started jogging away from the house. He didn't get far when police arrived and confronted him in the street, even before they knew Reid was dead in the nearby home.

Robinson ran away from the officer, who chased after him through a church parking lot to 6270 S. Mount Vernon Drive. Bausch said she heard two shots.

"Once we heard the shots we could hear him scream, and we didn't know if it was the cop or him, we didn't know who got shot yet," she said.

Somewhere inside the house, police discovered Reid's body.

On Reid's Facebook page, there are several pictures she took with a cellphone of her and Robinson standing together. One of the pictures, titled "True Love," was posted on Feb. 25.

It's not the first time Robinson has been investigated for domestic violence. In 2010 he was charged in Taylorsville Justice Court with assault, a class B misdemeanor, in a case that involved domestic violence, according to Utah court records. The case was set for a bench trial when it was dismissed over a year later. The reason for the dismissal was not clear in court records.

In 2001 and 2002, Robinson was convicted in separate cases in Salt Lake County and Duchesne County on felony forgery and an amended charge of attempted drug possession. During his probation, he was sent to the Utah State Hospital when questions about his competency came up, according to court records. After a three-month stay at the hospital in 2005, a judge placed him back on 36 months probation when it was determined he had been returned to competency. One of the conditions of his probation at that time was that he "obtain provider to supervise his medications and to follow his doctors' orders," according to court records.

In 2011, Robinson was found guilty of misdemeanor DUI in Murray Justice Court. On March 27, he was again charged with several driving and alcohol misdemeanors including being an alcohol-restricted driver and driving on a suspended license.

In January, Reid was charged with misdemeanor assault in a domestic violence related case out of West Valley City, according to court records. She was also charged with assault in late 2011 and may have had a warrant out for her arrest at the time of her death, according to court records.

Peg Coleman, the executive director of the Utah Domestic Violence Council, could not speak specifically to Robinson and Reid's case on Tuesday, but noted that residents calling police was the right thing to do.

"There's built into a culture that (domestic violence) is a private nature, and we need to break that. It affects everyone's business, it affects neighbors, it affects communities," she said. "It is truly a community issue."

The council tabulated 28 domestic violence related deaths in Utah from July 2010 to June 2011. During that same time, nearly 2,000 protective orders were issued and 3,750 domestic violence related charges were filed statewide.

According to the Utah Department of Public Safety's most recent statewide crime statistics for 2010, the groups most victimized in domestic violence cases are children. The second biggest group of domestic violence victims are boyfriends and girlfriends. Spousal abuse is the third biggest group.

If someone is seeking to leave a violent relationship, they can call the Utah Domestic Violence hotline at 1-800-897-LINK (5465) or the national hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).

E-mail: [email protected], Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam