MURRAY — A woman was shot and killed following an apparent domestic dispute that brought police to the home twice Monday afternoon.

Police discovered the woman's body after being called to the home at 6340 South and 725 East a second time in less than two hours.

An armed man who attempted to flee the home was shot by police. He was taken to the hospital in stable condition, Murray police officer Kenny Bass said.

About 3 p.m., officers responded to reports of a domestic dispute at the home. Both the man and woman said they had been arguing, and neither showed signs of physical injury, Bass said.

"There were no signs of injuries, no signs of anything that would make the officer think otherwise," he said, "so they left the two here."

The officers also indicated that the woman was calm and did not appear to be frightened, Bass said.

An officer returned to the scene about 4:45 p.m. to check on the woman and was confronted by the same man, this time with a gun.

Witnesses said the man was threatening to shoot himself and others and was waving the gun around before running away.

The officer chased the man through a church parking lot and down another street before shooting the man near 6270 S. Mount Vernon Drive.

"The officer gave chase, knowing (the man) was armed," Bass said. "Unfortunately, (the officer) had to fire his weapon at (the man)."

It's unclear how many shots were fired at the man or whether the man shot at the officer. Witnesses said they heard at least two gunshots.

Meanwhile, paramedics went into the home on 725 East and discovered that the woman had been shot and killed inside.

Police have not released the identity of the deceased woman or the man shot by police.

The officer who shot the man has been placed on paid administrative leave pending an investigation. 

Courtney Brittingham, who lives near the home where the woman was killed, said neighbors had heard arguing there. But she was surprised to hear gunshots.

"It's usually a very nice neighborhood," Brittingham said.