ARROYO GRANDE, Calif. — Utah State finished in fifth place at the Cal Poly-hosted Lamkin Grip Match Play Challenge with a 3.0-2.0 win against Towson in the consolation match held here Friday at the Cypress Ridge Golf Course.
Against Towson, sophomore Tanner Higham won his second match of the tournament with a 3-and-2 win against Matt Fry, as did freshman Brennan Coburn who defeated DJ Honan, 4-and-3. Freshman Andrew Paulson notched a 3-and-2 win against Trevor Sluman for his first victory of the tournament. Senior Chanse Godderidge lost his final match of the tournament against Joe Gunerman, 5-and-4, as did freshman Tanner Jenson, who lost to Justin Koehler, 1-up.
Utah State will return to action on April 9 when it travels to Scottsdale, Ariz. to compete in the Wyoming-hosted Cowboy Classic.
USU MATCH PLAY VS. TOWSON
1. Tanner Higham (USU) def. Matt Fry (TU) - 3&2
2. Joe Gunerman (TU) def. Chanse Godderidge (USU) - 5&4
3. Andrew Paulson (USU) def. Trevor Sluman (TU) - 3&2
4. Justin Koehler (TU) def. Tanner Jenson (USU) - 1 up
5. Brennan Coburn (USU) def. DJ Honan (TU) - 4&3
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.