WEST VALLEY CITY — A woman who jumped from the second story of her burning house Friday was expected to remain hospitalized for a few days.
Just before 4 a.m., firefighters were called to 2573 S. Ridgeland Dr. (3540 West). They arrived to find smoke and fire coming from the upstairs windows, fire coming from the swamp cooler on the roof and heavy smoke coming from the ground level windows of the two-story house, said West Valley Fire Battalion Chief Bob Fitzgerald.
Ten people from two families — five adults and five children — were living in the house. An adult woman escaped the fire by jumping from a second story window, Fitzgerald said. The woman got caught on something first as she tried to get out the window before falling to the ground.
She was taken to Pioneer Valley Hospital and was then flown by medical helicopter to University Hospital.
Two other adults, a man and a woman, were also taken to Pioneer Valley Hospital with minor burns before they were taken by ambulance to University Hospital. They were both expected to be released Friday.
Fitzgerald said everyone was able to get out of the house before firefighters arrived.
The cause of the fire was believed to be connected to the furnace, he said, although crews were also making sure Friday it wasn't a problem with the dryer. The fire, Fitzgerald said, spread extremely fast.
West Valley City has had three fires in the past month in which people had to be rescued from either a second- or third-story window. Fitzgerald said the incidents are good reminders of why having working smoke detectors in homes is so important.