WELLINGTON, Carbon County — A heater in a garage likely sparked a house fire that destroyed the home and nearby vehicles early Wednesday morning, fire officials said.

Carbon County Sheriff James Cordova said crews responded to the house fire at 2266 E. 5700 South near Wellington at 12:35 a.m. Fire and law enforcement officials arrived to find the house "engulfed in flame," Cordova said.

A family was inside the home when the fire occurred, he said.

"(They) were made aware of the situation by smoke and fire alarms and were subsequently able to exit the residence without injury," Cordova said.

A preliminary investigation by the fire marshal indicated the fire originated from a space heater in the garage. The investigation is still ongoing, the sheriff said.

A cost estimate for the damage had not been determined Wednesday.

Jared Page